Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to understand a fifteenth century text, and I've come across the following:

... las quales dichas syete ystorias nos obligamos de bazer muy bien aparejadas y ennervadas por de dentro e por de fuera e pintadas al olio sobre muy buen aparejo

I don't understand the phrase 'de bazer muy bien aparejadas y ennervadas' though.

Does anybody know what the modern Spanish equivalent might be / can explain the meaning, either in Spanish or English?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

After some searching in old Google books, I came to the conclusion that bazer is in fact a typical OCR error when scanning hazer, which is an old form of hacer: to do/to make. See for instance the following screenshot of a Google book where I searched for bazer and all instances of hazer are highlighted:

gb

For the rest of the sentence it would be better if you could show us some more of the text before this passage, but it seems that seven paintings were very well painted over a very good support.

share|improve this answer

The meaning of bazer was correctly explained by @rsanchez: it is, in fact, hazer.

Aparejadas refers to the aparejos in a building (brickwork) or a ship (riggings). And ennervadas refers to the nervaduras (ribs) in a building. This is: the framework on which the building is based.

Putting all together, when the writer promises to hazer muy bien aparejadas y ennervadas his stories, he means that he will build them on a good foundation.

Bazer? Are you sure it's not Fazer? Fazer = modern Hacer.

So: bazer muy bien aparejadas y ennervadas = hacer muy bien aparejadas y ennervadas.

Aparejadas: linked to.

Ennervadas: united (although I'm not 100% sure about this meaning, I didn't find a proper definition for ennervadas, even in Spanish).

In this case, ennervadas means buttressed with nervaduras (ribs). –  Gorpik Jun 13 at 10:50

I want to add:

1. Enervar: Debilitar, quitar las fuerzas. (Weaken, take strenght) [Google translate sorry if wrong]. From the latin enervare (weaken)

so the phrase 'de hazer muy bien aparejadas y ennervadas' would be translated as 'to make them [the stories] liked and weaken', if you add more text maybe we'll answer clearer.

Not in this case. Ennervadas refers to the opposite: well buttressed with nervaduras (ribs). –  Gorpik Jun 13 at 10:48

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.