Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Dictionary says both mean often. Which one is a better way to say often in Spanish in day to day conversations? If there are regional variations, I would like to know what Mexicans prefer.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

In northern Mexico we say "seguido", it's not grammaticaly correct, but it's used in a day to day manner.

• Voy seguido al cine => I often go to the movies
  • Seguido me quedo tarde en el trabajo => I often stay late at work

"Frecuentemente" is more formal (and correct)

share|improve this answer
Same in Argentina. BTW, the question asks about "a menudo" vs "frecuentemente". –  leonbloy Jun 11 at 2:42

@motilio Thanks for "segued"...So, is "a menudo" never used? Is it more formal than "frecuentamente"? –  Amit Schandillia Jun 11 at 3:35
As a cultural curiosity, in Castillian Spanish it would be preferable to use a menudo –  hisuin Jun 11 at 12:29

"A menudo is" very rarely used. And I think it is not more formal than "frecuentemente". –  motilio Jun 11 at 23:32

There is no difference in using a menudo vs frecuentemente

Motilio is correct, a menudo and frecuentemente are not used in a day to day conversations. We use seguido

Deberíamos ir más seguido al cine

María viene a visitarme seguido
(María viene a visitarme a menudo)
(María viene a visitarme frecuentemente)
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.