Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

To ask somebody about their interests in Spanish I understand you should say:

¿Qué te interesa?

Would it ever be appropriate to say:

¿Qué te interesan?

As if I was to ask such a general question in English I would usually expect multiple interests to be listed not just one.

share|improve this question

5 Answers 5

up vote 8 down vote accepted

The second question is not grammatically correct, the verb is plural and the subject singular. To ask someone about their interests the correct question would be:

¿Cuáles son tus intereses?

share|improve this answer

Are you saying te is the subject? So ¿Qué os interesan? would be grammatically correct? I thought te was the object in this question. –  user261 Nov 30 '11 at 14:58
+1 because you posted first. :D –  Alenanno Nov 30 '11 at 15:08
The subject in the sentence is qué, a pronoun which is inherently singular, so the verb must be in singular. ¿Qué os interesan? would be grammatically INCORRECT for the very same reason. Correct alternatives would be ¿Qué os interesa? or ¿Qué cosas os interesan? In this last case, qué is no longer a pronoun but an adjective modifying the noun cosas --it should be in its plural form, but the adjective qué is invariant. –  Auron Nov 30 '11 at 15:46

@Auron You're totally right. I'm sorry, my mistake. I'm going to delete my comment. –  Laura Nov 30 '11 at 15:54

@Auron, that helps a lot. Thanks! Everybody, thanks for your help! –  user261 Nov 30 '11 at 16:00

To add to other answers: Another possible way of making the second question correct, would be

¿Qué cosas te interesan?

To say "What interests you?", use

¿Qué te interesa?

But to say "What are your interests?", use

Even in English there is the distinction. It depends on what you are trying to say.

The good way to say this would be:

¿Qué te interesa?

Interesan is used in other contexts, e.g.,

Tengo cuatro gatitos y nosé qué hacer con ellos. ¿Te interesan [Interesan is making reference to the kittens!]?

Another way to say this would be:

Interesan because there is more than one kitten? –  user261 Nov 30 '11 at 15:03

Exactly. Interesan is for plural in both ways, for instance: Ellos se interesan por ella (THEY are interested in her) A él le interesan las chicas (HE is interested in them) –  Joze Nov 30 '11 at 15:07

+1 for the extended information and for editing, How do you put de yellow thing? –  Laura Nov 30 '11 at 15:13

Use the quote tool on the formatting palette. Or just type '>' before the statement that you want to quote :-) –  Joze Nov 30 '11 at 15:24

I don't think ¿Qué te interesan? is a valid question if you meant to ask "What are your interests?"

I'd rather say:

+1 u posted first muahahah –  Joze Nov 30 '11 at 15:09

+1 because we where probably answering at the same time :) –  Laura Nov 30 '11 at 15:12

Ahahah :D Laura, you were the first, trust me. :) –  Alenanno Nov 30 '11 at 15:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.