Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Spanish has several words that could be translated "sign" in English:

• letrero
  • rótulo
  • señal
  • indicio
  • cartel
  • pancarta
  • seña

What are the differences between these words? In what situations can each be used?

share|improve this question

I was thinking of asking exactly this question - I never know which to choose, especially between rótulo and letrero. –  hippietrail Dec 2 '11 at 14:32
add comment

1 Answer

letrero

enter image description here

rótulo

señal

cartel  

pancarta

"Indicio" means something like "clue", while "seña" has many meanings, the most usual is "gesture" (like waving a hand, or closing one eye), but also means "a particular characteristic" of someone or something, "a sign made to show a direction or to signal a place", and surprisingly (in some countries/regions) a payment made as a promise to buy (to prevent the seller changing the price or selling to somebody else).

share|improve this answer
This is very good, but it would be even better if you could include several examples for each so we can see the semantic range. For instance I'm still having trouble with rótulo and letrero. –  hippietrail Dec 2 '11 at 14:39
The photos are great examples, but I'm still curious exactly what each word can refer to. For example, the photos make it look like street signs are always either señal or cartel and not letrero or rótulo? –  jrdioko Dec 3 '11 at 21:30

@jrdioko There are a lot of local variations. I posted the meanings that I believe are more or less universal. –  belisarius Dec 4 '11 at 0:27

@hippie So perhaps [this is more useful than my answer](www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=letrero) –  belisarius Dec 4 '11 at 0:40
@belisarius: I believe you need the "http://" to get the link to work right. –  jrdioko Dec 4 '11 at 3:58
show 4 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.