Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A literal translation always falls flat, and confuses people (I've learned this the hard way).

I can't wait [to see the movie] => No puedo esperar [a ver la pelicula]

This always leaves the listener with the impression that due to circumstances, I will be unable to see the movie unless I see it immediately. That's clearly not what I meant.

How can I convey the same meaning of eager anticipation?

share|improve this question

9 Answers 9

up vote 10 down vote accepted

My family is from Peru and suggested:

Me muero por ver la película.

share|improve this answer
Today a native Spanish speaker told me (in English) "I'm dead to drink some coffee!" –  Flimzy Dec 3 '11 at 7:25
I guess that makes sense considering the translation. I hope you corrected them to 'dying' lol –  McArthey Dec 4 '11 at 7:35

Maybe estoy ansioso would be a better translation. But no puedo esperar is used very often.

If that's used often, it must be regional, because every time I've used it here (Guadalajara, Mexico), I've gotten confused/concerned responses. –  Flimzy Nov 15 '11 at 21:50

This is the case in Argentina too (it being correct to use I mean) –  jmfsg Nov 15 '11 at 21:55
Madrid, Spain. Sounds good "No puedo esperar a/para ver la película." "Estoy ansioso por" sounds great too. –  Serabe Nov 15 '11 at 22:02
I have no idea about Guadalajara. But in central México, "No puedo esperar" sounds quite reasonable too. But yes, "estoy ansioso" is perhaps best and wouldn't confuse anyone. –  Juan A. Navarro Nov 16 '11 at 13:39

As simple as

¡Ya quiero ver la película!

If you are looking for some slang you could use:

• Me estoy quemando por ver la película.
  • No aguanto por ver la película.
Which country are you or your Spanish from? I wouldn't use neither of them but the first, but moving ya from the beginning to the end. –  Serabe Nov 15 '11 at 22:25

I'm from Mexico, and I lived on Guadalajara (the OP lives there) –  isJustMe Nov 15 '11 at 22:26
Sounds very strange for me (Madrid, Spain). –  Serabe Nov 15 '11 at 22:28
+1 This sounds just perfect. –  razpeitia Nov 23 '11 at 5:33

There's always "estoy deseoso de [ver la película]". But that's not much better than "estoy ansioso" (anxious) or "estoy impaciente" (impatient). There's also "estoy entusiasmado" (enthusiastic).

I'm not sure which would be best...

I would go with "Estoy esperando a [ver la película]." But that might not convey the proper level of eagerness.

I have no idea how widespread the usage is, but you can say "No veo la hora en que...". It takes the subjunctive. For example, "No veo la hora en que nos casemos." -- "I can't wait for us to get married."

I think the most idiomatic translation into Castillian Spanish would be:

Estoy deseando ver la película.

I normally say

Tengo ganas...

This is more like "I really want to..." or "I have a desire to..." which is what I think you are implying with "I can't wait to...."

Welcome to Spanish.SE! –  Flimzy Jan 2 '12 at 22:02

A friend just used this phrase with me, which works, at least in some situations:

No veo la hora en que termine la jornada laboral.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.