Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English we tend to use:

• lol = laughing out loud;
  • rofl = rolling on the floor laughing;
  • lmao = laughing my a** off;
  • roflmao = rolling on the floor laughing my a** off.

These are just some of the forms of text laughter that I first encountered on ICQ/IRC back in the 90s / early 00s. Naturally we also have 'hah', 'haha', and 'bwahahahha' :)

However, when talking to Spanish-speaking friends, aside from the regular 'jaja', I haven't found many other alternatives to express different levels of amusement. And it feels wrong to laugh sometimes when it's just something that's mildly amusing, for example.

Any suggestions?

share|improve this question

I get a lot of these in text messages: xD. It means laughing in Spanish SMS. (The surprise is that the x doesn't mean "por.") –  Brian Nov 27 '11 at 19:55

@Brian That emoticon is used everywhere actually; by the way, for those who don't know, it's basically this face. –  Alenanno Nov 27 '11 at 20:36

Oaxaxaxaxaca probably isn't one. –  Richard Nov 28 '11 at 16:17

3 Answers 3

They use "jajaja": the more "ja", the stronger the laugh. But there are variations, like jejeje, which is a less strong laugh and can be a nervous laugh or an "evil" laugh.

Anyway, there seem to be "alternatives" for LOL in Spanish:

• CMC (casi me cago) = It means "I almost p**p my pants (from laughter)";
  • RAC (reír a carcajadas) = lol

I've also seen "MDR" (muerto de risa), but it actually originated from the French "mort de rire", same meaning; it's used by French speakers along with LOL.

share|improve this answer

I've never seen those acronyms you mention, as far as I know, I've only seen XD which is more of an emoticon (laughing face). –  Rorok_89 Apr 10 '13 at 8:55

Lo que yo hago (otros harán otras cosas):

• Te hace gracia y te sonríes :)
  • Te hace gracia y te ríes :D
  • Una sonrisa perversa: jejejeje (como levantando el labio superior por el lado derecho)
  • Una sonrisa malvada: muahahahaha (como el malvado que se ríe cuando su trampa ha funcionado)
  • Alguien metió la pata, te sorprendes y te hace un poquito de gracia: Juas
  • Of course, también lol, ja, jajaja, y JAJAJAAJJAJAJAJA.
+1 for uppercase "JA". –  dusan Nov 27 '11 at 14:35

+1 Uppercase JA FTW! –  Joze Nov 27 '11 at 21:30

Definitely JAJAJAJA. Even my Norwegian wife knows this one! –  Kevin K. Nov 28 '11 at 4:52

Si las usais, no tengáis miedo de incorporar erratas para que se vea que la risa te impidió escribir bien: mejor JAJAJAJAAAJJA o JAAJAJAJAAJJ que JAJAJAJAJAJA. –  Nexus Nov 28 '11 at 16:36

tambien existe el "JAJAAAAAAAAAA" q tiene otro tono –  pleasedontbelong Nov 29 '11 at 12:40

I've never seen acronyms in Spanish chat, like LOL and ROFL, only onomatopoeias.
I use LOL myself.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.