Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Let's say the sentence is:

I need a bigger one.

My attempt is:

Necesito una más grande.

This obviously doesn't sound right to me. So, I would like to know how a native speaker would translate such sentences with an adjective (in comparative form, such as bigger, smaller, thinner, higher, etc.) with the word "one" after it.

Similarly, what if I had to say another one instead of bigger one here? Will it be una otra?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted
Necesito uno (una) más grande

Both are correct

No cabe en la bolsa, necesito una más grande
El costal está lleno, necesito uno más grande

Another one

Otro - otra
Ya no tengo pintura, necesito otro litro
Yo no tengo pintura, necesito otra lata
share|improve this answer
"necesito otra lata"...This is good if I wanted to say, "I need another can". But what if I don't want to explicitly mention the can and just say, "another one" instead? –  Amit Schandillia May 29 at 13:37
Use necesito otra, lata is feminine, necesito otro (coche) car is masculine. –  Nicoli May 29 at 13:41
If you've already said Necesito once already, you can get away with just saying Otra... or Otro... or even.. uno(a) más –  dockeryz May 29 at 20:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.