Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider this sentence:

Por fin, metí el hilo por el ojo de la aguja.

Finally, I threaded the needle.

I understand that el ojo de la aguja is the Spanish for the eye (the little hole/loop at the base of a (sowing) needle through which the thread goes) here; but somehow I get a feeling that this is too long a phrase for colloquial use. What's the word used by native speakers for this? Please also mention your country so I understand if your translation has any regional application.

P.S. Please DO NOT quote RAE or any dictionary as I am more interested in finding out what the people speak in real life instead of what the books say.

share|improve this question
It's aguja, not abuja. –  itziki May 29 at 7:29

That was a stupid typo, now corrected. Thanks! –  Amit Schandillia May 29 at 8:15
In Cuba we say ensartar this means meter el hilo por el ojo de la aguja –  Emilio Gort May 29 at 13:48

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

To refer to the hole I don't think there is specific word, it's el ojo de la aguja. However, to refer to the action of inserting the thread in the hole, enhebrar is used.

enhebrar. 1. tr. Pasar la hebra por el ojo de la aguja o por el agujero de las cuentas, perlas.

In a sentence:

Para poder coser la costura primero tienes que enhebrar la aguja.

I'm from Spain.

share|improve this answer

The equivalent to "thread a needle" is "enhebrar" or "hilar", so: "Por fin enhebré la aguja", or "Por fin hilé la aguja"

We use el ojo de la aguja. There's not a shorter translation. I'm a native speaker from Chile.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.