Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Dictionary says both mean "gate". I want to know if there is any finer difference between the two, especially regional ones. What's the word you use for gate in your regions? More specifically I would like to know what the Mexicans use.

share|improve this question
In Spain Verja is more used, I've never hear Cancela in a conversation. –  itziki May 29 at 6:47

1 Answer 1

Verja or Cancela use to refer to metallic structures made of tubes. have you googled images to see the difference? a verja is a metallic structure made of tubes that keep people outside a zone, it is also used as gate in some zones.

A cancela is a door/gate usually side to side with a verja, cancela is more used to refer to a metallic gate but can also be used as verja, it will depend on who are you talking to and who is he/she from.

I think i'm right but i am no linguist

share|improve this answer

I did google the images before asking the question and it threw similar images for both the words. So, you're saying verja is more like a boundary/barricade made of metal tubes/rods while a cancela is a metal gate? But then you say that it depends on the person I am speaking to. So what do these words mean in your region? Which word would people use to refer to a gate (metal or otherwise) in your country/region? –  Amit Schandillia May 28 at 16:54

I've never hear cancela as gate. I'm from Cuba, lived in mexico, colombia and miami. –  Emilio Gort May 29 at 19:07

This answer is correct. According to RAE Verja is Enrejado que sirve de puerta, ventana o, especialmente, cerca., and cancela is when it is used as a door for an entrance as a garden, patio. Verja pequeña que se pone en el umbral de algunas casas para reservar el portal o zaguán del libre acceso del público. Cancela is more used in Andalucia. En Andalucía, verja, comúnmente de hierro y muy labrada. Nowadays is more common to say abre la verja rather than abre la cancela. –  AlexBcn May 30 at 22:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.