Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

English:

In English, you can use the phrase "to fall in love with" with people who you aren't literally in love with. For example, when talking about children, you might say:

You just fall in love with those cute kids as soon as you see them.

Is enamorarse appropriate in that context, or does it always have romantic implications? If not, what is the best translation?

Also, how would you translate "cute" as used in that sentence?

Español: En inglés, se puede usar la frase "to fall in love with" con gente con la que no estas literalmente enamorado. Por ejemplo, cuando hablas de niños, se puede decir:

¿Es enamorarse apropiado en ese contexto, o siempre tiene implicaciones románticas? Sino, ¿cuál es la mejor traducción?

Además, ¿como se traduce "cute" tal como se usa en esa frase?

share|improve this question
"Cute" can be hard to translate here because English happens to have a rich and subtle vocabulary of diminutive adjectives like cute, precious, tiny, silly, pretty, little, and so on. Spanish often uses common diminutive suffixes (-ito, -cito) and a few words (see Kiko_L's answer) to accomplish the same thing but those won't be exact one-to-one matches. –  Brian Nov 25 '11 at 23:26

@Brian: I strongly disagree; Spanish also has a rich and subtle vocabulary in this semantic field. In fact, I can find a number of ways to translate "cute" into Spanish without recurring to diminutive suffixes. "Mono" is probably be the most usual translation in the region of Spain where I live. –  CesarGon Jan 25 '12 at 16:22
There is a thread on this site specifically addressing the "cute" portion of your questions here: spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/1840/… –  Rachel Mar 7 '12 at 2:49

5 Answers 5

up vote 9 down vote accepted

I would translate:

As:

Simplemente te van a encantar esos adorables niños en cuanto los veas.

Here I would translate cute as as adorable.

share|improve this answer

+1 Good translation with encantar. I think it should be '...te van a encantar...' –  krubo Dec 16 '11 at 23:35

@krubo: Edited. –  jrdioko Jan 30 '12 at 17:25

Actually you can use "Enamorar" in than case, for example:

Te enamoras de esos preciosos niños nada más verles

"cute" can be translate into "precioso", "bonito", "bello", "hermoso" or in a more colloquial way (in Spain) "mono", for example:

Those boys are really cute [Esos chicos/niños son realmente/muy monos]

Thanks, and welcome to Spanish.StackExchange! –  jrdioko Nov 26 '11 at 3:47

Yes,

Te enamoras de esos bellos niños apenas los ves

seems right, although probably not what a native speaker would say.

This:

Los niños son bellos y encantadores

sounds better

Actually I am a native speaker and I use it like that all the time, as most people I know. –  Sergio Romero May 2 '12 at 19:37

Actually you can say:

Me encariñé de esos niños tan tiernos (bonitos) tan pronto los vi

Or:

Me encantaron esos niños tan lindos desde que los vi

I hope this helps

But tierno != bonito and encariñar != enamorar –  belisarius Nov 26 '11 at 0:39

good point but for a native speaker sounds right you can not translate literally the whole sentence –  koyuki Nov 26 '11 at 19:18

You're right. Mine was just a warning for the OP. –  belisarius Nov 26 '11 at 19:41

You can use

Te enamoraras de esos niños apenas los veas

But certainly is not what a man would say to another man. It's more like man-to-woman, woman-to-woman, woman-to-man expression

You always can use:

Te encariñaras de esos niños a penas los veas

Te agradaran esos niños a penas los veas

Thanks, and welcome to Spanish.StackExchange! –  jrdioko Nov 26 '11 at 3:45

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.