Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Which is correct?

English - All is Well

Espanol - Todo es bien / Todo está bien

I am confused with es and está. still I don't get a clear view.

I referred this too.

Please help to understand. Thanks!

share|improve this question
use está when it is a temporary states, and es for durable or permanent states –  Emilio Gort May 27 at 16:11

I don't think you would ever see 'ser' with 'bien.' But there might be an exception. –  Flimzy May 27 at 18:34

In a general sense, it is common to say Todo va bien (All goes well). –  rodrigo May 29 at 12:40

3 Answers 3

The correct way is "Todo está bien." I don't remember the rule right, but I usually use "es" when i refer to a particular characteristic of the subject: The car is red (El carro es rojo), The car is big (El carro es grande). In the case of "está", I use it more to refer to a particular state or status of the subject: The car is wet (El carro está mojado), The car is far (El carro está lejos). I need to go back and review the official rule, it's been a while, but in general terms, I hope that helps a bit.

share|improve this answer

use está when it is a temporary states, and es for durable or permanent states –  Emilio Gort May 27 at 16:10

All is Well also can traslate to "Todo correcto".

The traslation of To be in Spanish can be the verb "ser" or "estar" depending the context.

The verb "Ser" refers to a person or a object and the verb "estar" refers to the state of things or persons.

The thing that is "bien" (the situation, the wind blowing your ship) at the time can also become "mal", right? Since that "bien" is mutable, you must use "esta".

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.