Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It's been indicated to me that in French "la chatte" (feminine version of "le chat", the cat) is used as a vulgar term and its usage is somewhat delicate.

Does the same apply to gata, or gatita?

share|improve this question

Gata fiera and Gata bajo la lluvia, could be offensive in many cases, but also a compliment, according to the place and the context –  Emilio Gort May 28 at 18:43

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

"Gato", and its feminine form "gata", are the normal way of referring to animals of the Felis silvestris catus subspecies.

"Gatita" is a normal way of referring to one's female cat, or any other female cat to which one has sentimental attachment.

On the other hand, the same words "gata" and "gatita" can be used to refer to a woman. This second usage is, at least, familiar, and may be deemed vulgar or offensive depending on the context.

share|improve this answer

Gata fiera and Gata bajo la lluvia, could be offensive in many cases, but also a compliment, according to the place and the context –  Emilio Gort May 28 at 18:43

I am from México and "gato" and "gata" in reference to a person is very desrespectful:

1. No soy tu gato. I am not your servant, worker, maid or something like that.

"Gato" y "gata" is used to talk about poor people. And "Gata" and "Gatita" are used as whore.

In argentina is the same meaning for memenine and masculine form

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.