Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would you say "it is what it is?" I have heard "eso es" and "eso si que es." I assume the first one is an abbreviation of the second. However, is it an acceptable abbreviation, or is it not something people say?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

"Es lo que hay" might be the phrase you're looking for. It is often used to express resignation, sometimes ironically.

share|improve this answer

"It is what it is" is literally translated to "Es lo que es". Maybe there is a phrase in Spanish with similar meaning which is used in situations where the English phrase "it is what it is" is used, but I don't think it is very common.

I have always heard it said as, Así es. Especially when asking elders advice about things... they'll say Así es joven.

This is my opinion is the best translation for That's just the way it is which I know is not the exact phrase you spoke about, but both our phrases have the same meaning.

It is what it is vs That's just the way it is

translating to...

Así es

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.