Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

At my job, I sometimes have to make a list of requirements for Spanish-speaking clients. This list entails certain appointments. For the "employment assessment" I also write the phrase "when scheduled".

How do I translate "when scheduled"? Would it be "cuando se programa" or "cuando se programe"? Not sure if I should be using the subjunctive....

To be more specific, my clients are applying for temporary assistance. I give them a list of requirements that they must fill in to complete the application. These are usually things they might have to hand in or appointments they might have attend. So, the list might look something like this:

RESIDENCIA - (declaración de propietario)
VERIFICACIÓN DE DESCAPACIDAD - (la forma de evaluación física llenada por su médico)
CITA CON IMA - (14 de Mayo, 2014- para evaluación psicológica)
EVALUACIÓN DE EMPLEO - (cuando se programe)

But sometimes, depending on the situation, it might be "si se programe". I wrote it in the subjunctive and my supervisor wants me to change it to "se programa".

share|improve this question
I'm a little bit struggling with the context. Could you please edit your question and add a full sentence? –  Nico May 10 at 17:38

I agree with Lisa, please provide context. But, it appears "cuando se programe" is correct. –  edivimo May 10 at 17:45

I agree with Nico, that will be usefull because in fact, the form of the verb is subjunctive but I'm not sure if "cuando se programe" fix totally in the context. For example, I think "cuando se requiera" could be more appropiate... –  MaríaCC May 10 at 18:04

In Argentina we use "Fecha a confirmar". It implies that the appointment needs to be confirmed before being published. –  Adriana Villafañe Jun 27 at 23:14

2 Answers 2

I would suggest the following corrections to the original translation:

RESIDENCIA - (declaración del propietario)

Here I've corrected a missing article. Although "propietario" is a more common word, perhaps "arrendador" is more accurate.

VERIFICACIÓN DE DISCAPACIDAD - (certificado médico de incapacidad física)

I've corrected the spelling of "discapacidad" and used the usual wording for a "medical certificate of physical disability".

CITA CON IMA - (14 de Mayo, 2014 - para evaluación psicológica)

I don't know what "IMA" is. Everything else looks good to me.

EVALUACIÓN DE EMPLEO - (cuando se programe)

You could also use the verb "concertar" ("cuando se concierte").

Subjuntive is the right translation.

To decide whether subjuntive or indicative follows "cuando", learners of Spanish are usually told that:

• for future actions, "cuando" is followed by subjuntive:

Los participantes recibirán un correo cuando se programe la reunion
    (The attendants will receive an email when the meeting is scheduled)

• for habitual actions, "cuando" is followed by indicative:

Los participantes reciben un correo cuando se programa una reunion
    (The attendants receive an email when a meeting is scheduled)

• for past actions, "cuando" is followed by indicative:

Los participantes recibieron un correo cuando se programó la reunion
    (The attendants received an email when the meeting was scheduled)

share|improve this answer

Based on the context you've given, there are some other translations that might work as well based on more specific context.

If you are saying that an evaluation is to be scheduled, you can instead of use simply a programar or as others have pointed out a concertar.

Some other things. forma is wrong, formulario or modelo is generically better, but here I agree with Nico, it should be certificado, but I've always seen just certificado de discapacidad sans other words. Instead of discapacidad you can also use minusvalía (although these days it's not considered as PC). Also, notice date formatting. Either 14 mayo 2014 or 14 de mayo de 2014 (all lowercase), or use numerals for the month: 14 VI 2014 or 14-6-2014 or similar.

Another thing to consider is the declaración del propietario. That's fine if you just need the owner of the proper to certify where they're living. If you're wanting a copy of a lease or evidence they own it which I suppose you are, I'd use that something like below:

RESIDENCIA - (contrato de arrendimiento/hipoteca o título inmobiliario)

VERIFICACIÓN DE DISCAPACIDAD - (certificado de discapacidad)

CITA CON IMA - (14 mayo 2014 - para evaluación psicológica)

EVALUACIÓN DE EMPLEO - (a concertar)

For the other text you mention as si se programa (I'm guessing in English "if/as necessary") you can use en su caso.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.