Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I've heard from some people that once lived in Spanish-speaking countries that old people in those countries usually speak a "d" sound instead of clearly speaking "t" sound when they get old, and they can't usually distinguish these two sounds.

I find this could be explained using a basic theory. Just consider how this two sounds are pronounced:

When people get older, their teeth fall out. How can they pronounce the "t" sound clearly and accurately?

So I want to ask whether this is true.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Alexis Pigeon, Emilio Gort, Paul, Jose Maria, AlexBcn May 6 at 10:28

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

If it were true, it would not only be a characteristic of spanish, but of ALL human languages. Alas, I don't think this is universal. –  Paul May 5 at 4:43

There is such a difference between British English and American English (eg: water) and it is certainly not due to the speaker's age. –  jlliagre May 5 at 7:30

Welcome to Spanish Language. I've edited your question to correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. Please, note a question may get downvoted for these reasons. I've also added two links to Wikipedia to clarify your description of the pronunciation of "t" and "d". –  Nico May 5 at 10:55
In my experience this is not true and the reasoning you propose is flawed. The main difference between the pronunciation of "t" and "d" is that the former is voiceless and the latter is voiced (and so a lack of front teeth doesn't make their pronunciation more difficult). –  Nico May 5 at 10:58

1 Answer 1

I think this falls more into the category of the region. I have traveled to 2/3 of the States in Mexico and yes they might be a difference between pronunciation in different words but everything seems to come down to the part of the region you visit. People for example from the State of Oaxaca Mexico tend to pronounce some words with the different sounds of others, a great example is when I was asking for direction, many people pronounce the Words 'S' like an 'h' like "eh que dije que fuera a la tienda" instead of "es que dije que fuera a la tienda".

Another state that I also visited was Guerrero which is nice tourist place where people would say words like "Pescado" as "Pescao" or "Pescaoh", regardless I would not consider this event occurring as you grow older but as a matter of where individual live and shared common words.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.