Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I noticed that my Spanish teacher sometimes does not pronunce the letter "s" in some syllables. For example, she says Ih-rael instead of Israel. Or she says "mah" instead of "mas". The thing is, she does this occassionally and doesn't seem to be aware of that.

I made a small researched about it and found out that this is something called s-aspiration and it is common among native speakers. But I wonder when and where does the letter "s" may become aspirated.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Letter 's' is commonly aspirated at the end of words, and it may be aspirated as well at the end of syllabes when the next letter is another consonant. But as you said, it is common on native speakers but depends strongly on the region. Canary Islands have a strong aspiration, Cadiz has an absolute mutening of 's' at the end of words, Zaragoza use a quite strong final 's' and no aspiration on syllabes, etc.

share|improve this answer

Thanks for explanation, aspiration issue became clear now :) –  srhat Apr 22 at 13:49
@srhat If you are happy with this explanation, please accept the answer, so the question becomes "Resolved". You can of course wait for other answers and choose another better one, but please do not forget to accept one of them –  Envite Apr 22 at 13:54

Usually the S is aspirated at the end of a syllable.

It is not unlike the glottal stop for Ts in British English. i.e

Bri - ish,

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.