Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend of mine from Argentina keeps saying to me "a la orden" and I asked her what it meant and she couldn't explain it. What does it mean? My guess it means okay?

share|improve this question
Yes Masta!, Aye Aye Captain!, Whatever you say! –  dockeryz Apr 22 at 16:36

You speak some German right? It's the same as "jawohl!" –  Jubbat Apr 22 at 19:15

2 Answers 2

"A la orden" is a military phrase meaning "At your command", used to express the willing to serve to an official.

From there, the phrase slipped into the non-military language with almost the same meaning: the willing to make something requested by somebody you care about: a boss, a client, a friend or a relative.

share|improve this answer

In México means something like "at your service" or "at your command".

share|improve this answer

Or "At your orders" / "At your disposal". She can use it when you order him something. –  AlexBcn Apr 21 at 19:13
It's the same meaning in Argentina. The friend is likely quoting some character's phrase, for it is not a commonly used sentence outside perhaps the military. –  Adriano Varoli Piazza Apr 21 at 19:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.