Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I usually greet my friends in many different ways, like Hola, guapa / bonita / amiga / etc.

Sometimes with really close friends I would also use Hola, princesa! in a more perky way.

But is it OK to use cariño for non-family members, even if those people are very good and close friends to you? I'm not really sure how much affection is applied by this word.

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted

In Mexico is not a word a man would use for anybody but a spouse or daughter, not even a son. For women is different, they would use it way more often and also depends on the socioeconomic level (amongst high-middle class it would be acceptable) (copy & pasted from above)

share|improve this answer

it depends also on the context, for example in Spain between friends, or in a relaxed environment, is OK and pretty common, but in a (formal) work environment it can be seen as a sexist comment, pretty much like your boss saying "honey" or "princess" to a girl in a meeting.

I would not say it's pretty common to say cariño to friends at least not in the east side of Spain. You usually say that to your partner (or son/daughter if you are a mother). –  Wawy Apr 14 at 15:43

I agree that it depends a lot on the country and even region.

In some places I have seen "cariño" used among close frinds, mostly women. Also I have it seen used to mark distance (a superior woman calling an inferior "cariño" as a sign of superiority like the one has over her children).

De la misma manera es usado en cuba –  Emilio Gort Apr 17 at 2:30

It depends highly on

• Country (e.g. in Chile it would be acceptable, in Argentina the word is not very much used in this sense)
  • Socioeconomic level (amongst high-middle class it would be acceptable)
  • Sexism awareness

So I'd ask directly if the use would be OK among your group.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.