Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The sentence I was trying to translate is:

We had to cut short our vacation due to the storm.

A Spanish learning site gave the translation as:

Tuvimos que acortar las vacaciones debido a la tormenta.

The “a” in this sentence really got me confused. Is it really appropriate? I was taught that it’s used only if the object is a person (e.g., Voy a ver a mi abuela). Here, that is not the case as the storm is neither a person nor a personified noun. Would it be less appropriate or incorrect to say, “…debido la tormenta.”?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

It is appropiate. This "a" would translate the english "to". Due to = debido a .What follows "a" is the reason always. Example: "Debido a un corte de luz" -> Due to an electricity outage. "an electricity outage" is the reason for the cut. Try always to transform this kind of sentences into: "An electricity outage was the reason for ..."

share|improve this answer
On the second part of the question, it would be incorrect to say "debido la tormenta". –  Adriano Varoli Piazza Apr 4 at 13:04
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.