Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There is an expression in Spanish to denote something that is absurd or unexpected. Usually it can be the maximum expression of expertise and talent.

I wondered about this mainly because in Spanish (In Colombia) at least we have some common jokes but I wondered how would you say that in English.

Joke 1:

¿Cuál es el colmo de un boxeador? .. .. Sacarse un moco con el guante.

Joke 2:

¿Cuál es el colmo de un futbolista? .. .. .. Meter un gol y fallarlo en el replay.

Google translate for Joke 2:

What is the height of a player? .. .. .. And failing to score a goal in the replay.

Which really has no sense whatsoever. Can someone explain a way to say this properly?

This is the definition of colmo in rae.

share|improve this question

put on hold as off-topic by Flimzy Oct 15 at 16:58

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – Flimzy
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Is this on-topic? It sounds more like an EL&U type of question, than a SL&U question. Unless your real question is "What does colmo mean?" –  Flimzy Nov 24 '11 at 7:12

The question is about translating an spanish expression to english. How can this be off-topic?? Being an Spanish expression I don't really see it in EL&U. Unless there is another reason? Meta Topic –  Joze Nov 24 '11 at 7:16
To me, translating X to Y makes sense on Y's site. Which means "«any language» to Spanish" fits here. And "«any language» to English" fits on EL&U. Also, there are already many questions on EL&U that fit that pattern. –  Flimzy Nov 24 '11 at 7:22

I browsed EL&U and found the following: META. That means the question would most likely be redirected here since part of it is asked in spanish. (And I don't see a way to ask it completely in english without spanish examples to clarify what I am asking) The fact that there are many questions on EL&U in that format doesn't mean they are accepted. There are list questions in SO. Doesn't mean they are normally allowed. –  Joze Nov 24 '11 at 7:23

I think for this question to be accepted on EL&U, a translation would have to be provided (perhaps a literal translation, or at least a Google Translate attempt)... then the EL&U folks would try to tackle how to make it more natural. (That seems to be the form most of the translation questions have taken.) –  Flimzy Nov 24 '11 at 7:26

3 Answers 3

up vote 8 down vote accepted

I'm not a native speaker, but I think you could use the idiom:

To be the last/final straw

So it could be:

What is the last straw for a boxer?

share|improve this answer

For those two particular jokes I would use the form, "What's the highlight of a boxer's career?"

I can't think of an equivalent that one would apply to a person himself rather than his career, though.

In this case I would go with pinnacle, summit, apex, or zenith rather than highlight. Now that I answer it I think it might be good for E L & U ... –  hippietrail Nov 27 '11 at 6:17

Those work too, but I think "highlight" is still fine (though it is indeed less literal). –  Kef Schecter Nov 27 '11 at 16:50

I think there's a slight difference in meaning too between highlight vs the others though I can't find the words to express it and I don't know which would be closer to this use of colmo which I'm not familiar with. –  hippietrail Nov 27 '11 at 18:17

what's the worst about being a boxer? poking your nose with the gloves...

I am a native spanish speaker, and this was a way that I could find in English to still have some sense and some humour on it, I've never hear the last straw in a sentence, so I would give my opinion in that, since colmo, you are refering as something bad about it, at least we use colmo like that in México, cheers buddy

"What is" implies something that actually happens, so I don't think it's a good translation. –  Adriano Varoli Piazza Apr 10 at 15:49

well, certanly its not good trying to poke your nose with gloves, that's the joke –  Poncho Apr 10 at 15:51
No. What I mean is that "colmo" jokes expect and imply that the answer will not make sense. "What's the worst about being a boxer?" doesn't imply nonsense. The other person could well answer "The brain damage". –  Adriano Varoli Piazza Apr 10 at 17:23

Oh, I got it, certainly It does not imply nonsense, It could be used then as "You know what could be weird about being a boxer?--poking your nose with the gloves ", Not sure, but kinda does the job about being a weird question, I think... –  Poncho Apr 11 at 19:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.