Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I found this sentence which makes sense except for the last word él:

Estoy aquí porque me ha enviado él.
I am here because he has sent me.

What is the él doing here? At first when I read it I thought it was saying "I am here because he has sent me him".

Is it there because it makes it clear that it is "he" who has sent for the speaker?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes, it is in fact the he from I am here because he has sent me.. It would also be correct to write Estoy aquí porque él me ha enviado, spanish is specially flexible in the order of certain words.

If the context allows it (there is enough information preceeding), it might be omitted and written as Estoy aquí porque me ha enviado.

Your initial understanding of I am here because he has sent me him would have been written as Estoy aquí porque me ha enviado a él.

share|improve this answer

I understand now! Thank you. –  0x499602D2 Mar 24 at 0:02

Se los he dicho muchas veces. Why is se being used in the beginning? Why isn't it just los? Wouldn't it make sense that way as well? –  0x499602D2 Mar 24 at 0:24
That's better off asked in a different question, as it's not related. –  Darkhogg Mar 24 at 0:36
@0x499602D2 That sentence is also wrong, it would be "Se lo he dicho muchas veces". Lo is referring to whatever you've said to them, and it's singular. Please, open a new question for this –  pHonta Mar 24 at 0:39
Also, if you do not want to identify the person who invited you. You can say Estoy aquí porque se me ha enviado... meaning, I am here because I have been invited. –  dockeryz Mar 24 at 17:48

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.