Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The title says it all, how do you say "speak one's piece"[1] in Spanish?

[1] Speak your piece means "state your opinion or view".

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

There is a debate if the correct phrase is "Speak one's piece" or "Speak one's peace". I have no intentions to go into details here, so I'm going to assume they are equivalent, or otherwise as explained here.

From Modismos Ingleses Para Hispanos/English Idioms For Spanish Speakers (2007), it's actually quite straight forward:

Decir todo lo que se tiene que decir.

The example the book gives is:

He spoke his piece. Dijo todo lo que quería decir.

It references someone's need to say something. I agree with the book, it would just translate to "decir lo que se tiene que decir" or "decir lo que se quiere decir".

share|improve this answer

Just read the Merriam-Webster link. I guess it's one of those things I've never written before...thanks for the insight. Interestingly, Google gives 36 M results for the incorrect version, and only 27 M results for the correct version. Looks like a lot of people are confused! –  neizan Mar 10 at 20:57

@neizan I'd recommend to use Google's ngram viewer instead. See here –  Nico Mar 10 at 21:04

It's very difficult to make a translation without any context or even a full sentence.

Let's imagine the sentence in English was:

He'd planned to speak his piece at the next meeting.

then a translation into Spanish could be:

Había planeado hablar sin reservas en la próxima reunión.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.