I don't know Spanish beyond maybe a half a dozen common words.

How do I say these in a casual, unfamiliar tone:

• Did I get a package from UPS?

• Sorry, that's all the Spanish I know.

Google Translate shows:

• ¿Conseguí un paquete de UPS?

• Lo siento, eso es todo el español que sé.

But I don't particularly trust it, so I wanted to confirm. In particular, Google translates the first back to "I got a UPS package?" which is not the way I would phrase that in English. Also, I'm not sure if "hablo", "entiendo", or "sé" makes more sense in the second phrase.

As it's written, this question is simply asking for a translation--or verification of an automatic translation. We are not a translation service. It's appropriate to question automatic translations, but try to make your questions here very specific. Is there a particular part of the sentence that seems off to you, that you have reason to doubt?
    – Flimzy
    Mar 3, 2014 at 20:29
  • @Flimzy Thanks, I'll avoid questions like this in the future. I didn't have a specific reason for doubting the automatic translation other than not being clear on which verb to use in the second phrase.
    – Jason C
    Mar 3, 2014 at 21:19
  • We want to focus on questions that help you gain a better understanding of the Spanish language. Using Google Translate as a starting point often makes good sense, but the questions need to be directed in such a way that you will gain a better understanding--not just a "correct translation." I hope that makes sense. :) And welcome to the site!
    – Flimzy
    Mar 3, 2014 at 21:53
  • "Conseguí" is not the word I'd use in this context. May "obtenir" or "recibir." (I'm not a native speaker, however.) If you edited your question to ask about this, or similar word choice, you might be able to get it re-opened.
    – Tom Au
    Apr 24, 2014 at 20:31

1 Answer 1

I think the most casual way would be for Did I get a package from UPS?like this :

• ¿Me llegó un paquete de UPS?

And for this Sorry, that's all the Spanish I know.

• Lo siento (o Disculpa) es todo el español que sé.

If you're talking about making a conversation with another person you should use , because that means you don't know how to speak or understanding what you're listening, if you're just talking, you should use hablo and if you're listening or reading you should use entiendo.

• Thanks; it seems hard to find a 100% perfect rule of thumb for "lo siento" vs. "disculpa". "Lo siento" seems to be the right choice based on what I'm reading for a genuine "I am sorry" (although really the situation is kind of humorous). Really what this all boils down to is yet another case for me to seriously start learning Spanish (if I can convince a 32 year old brain to take on a second language)...
    – Jason C
    Feb 28, 2014 at 17:42
    @JasonC, disculpa, perdona o lo siento are in most contexts equivalent. Don't try to always speak perfectly, you'll burn out, and people will understand you anyway.
    – bgusach
    Mar 1, 2014 at 12:37
    Well, I got my package, and I didn't even have to use the second phrase. Mission accomplished!
    – Jason C
    Mar 1, 2014 at 17:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.