Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm pretty new to Spanish, but I'm learning with Coffee Break Spanish/listening to TV/Radio/learning vocab via word of the day...pretty much anything I can get my hands on.

Anyway, if I'm ordering a meal at a fast food restaurant and I want to use the phrase 'kid's meal' (or something similar), what words would I use? For example would a 'kid's sandwich' be 'un sandwich de niño'? Or 'un sandwich de los niños?'. How do you use it in a sentance? 'Quisiera ...'?

Thanks!

3 Answers 3

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Usually, kid's meal is translated as menú infantil.

@c.p. answers are ok. In Spain, you should always say sándwich, because emparedado sounds a bit old-fashioned.

Be aware that, in Spain, sándwich always implies sliced bread. If you use French bread, the right word would be bocadillo. –  Gorpik Feb 25 at 7:35

@Gorpik Totally true! –  makeMonday Feb 25 at 7:41

OK, thanks for the heads up. –  wojonet Feb 25 at 16:31

Just plain

menu infantil

which means a customized menu for kids.

Comida para niños.

Entonces en el ejemplo, la expresión correcta es:

Sándwich para niños.

Otra opción es

Emparedado/bocadillo para niños.

si quieres evitar el anglicismo.

So 'Quisiera un emparedado para niños.' would be the best way to be understood? –  wojonet Feb 24 at 20:07

No. I was wrong, sánwich is perfectly acceptable. But it bears a tilde. See my edit in a minute. –  c.p. Feb 24 at 20:10

Oh right OK. Thanks for the specificity. –  wojonet Feb 24 at 20:20

Emparedado se dice solo en america central. En españa es Bocadillo –  Bruno9779 Feb 25 at 14:28

This site is currently not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .