Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm pretty new to Spanish, but I'm learning with Coffee Break Spanish/listening to TV/Radio/learning vocab via word of the day...pretty much anything I can get my hands on.

Anyway, if I'm ordering a meal at a fast food restaurant and I want to use the phrase 'kid's meal' (or something similar), what words would I use? For example would a 'kid's sandwich' be 'un sandwich de niño'? Or 'un sandwich de los niños?'. How do you use it in a sentance? 'Quisiera ...'?

Thanks!

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Usually, kid's meal is translated as menú infantil.

@c.p. answers are ok. In Spain, you should always say sándwich, because emparedado sounds a bit old-fashioned.

share|improve this answer
Be aware that, in Spain, sándwich always implies sliced bread. If you use French bread, the right word would be bocadillo. –  Gorpik Feb 25 at 7:35

@Gorpik Totally true! –  makeMonday Feb 25 at 7:41

OK, thanks for the heads up. –  wojonet Feb 25 at 16:31

Just plain

menu infantil

which means a customized menu for kids.

Comida para niños.

Entonces en el ejemplo, la expresión correcta es:

Sándwich para niños.

Otra opción es

Emparedado/bocadillo para niños.

si quieres evitar el anglicismo.

So 'Quisiera un emparedado para niños.' would be the best way to be understood? –  wojonet Feb 24 at 20:07

No. I was wrong, sánwich is perfectly acceptable. But it bears a tilde. See my edit in a minute. –  c.p. Feb 24 at 20:10

Oh right OK. Thanks for the specificity. –  wojonet Feb 24 at 20:20

Emparedado se dice solo en america central. En españa es Bocadillo –  Bruno9779 Feb 25 at 14:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.