Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would like to ask whether there are any differences in meaning between the following three phrases:

• estar harto de algo
  • estar quemado de algo
  • estar agotado de algo.
share|improve this question
I would ordered them from less irritated to more irritated as: (1)estar agotado de algo (2)estar harto de algo (3)estar quemado de algo –  Nico Feb 23 at 21:44
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

At least in my environment (Argentina):

• estar harto de algo
  • estar agotado de algo

are similar, and in some cases can be interchangeable, but

• estar harto

is more akin to "I'm fed up with", "I cannot stand that anymore". While

• estar agotado

is primarily equivalent to "be very tired". This is more used when one is tired because of some work one have done, while one can "estar harto" of things that one must bear. Further, "estar harto" suggest disgust, while the second is more neutral, one can "estar agotado" from doing something pleasant (say gym).

Regarding "quemado", in my experience that's a more informal (almost slang) word, used for stressful (not merely physical, nor anecdotical) situations, and it's used predominantly without a complement. "Estoy quemado" = "I'm seriously worn out".

share|improve this answer

Thanks for a thorough description. What I wonder now is whether European practice is similar or not. –  Mad Hatter Feb 24 at 21:11
@MadHatter the use described by leonbloy is based in the actual meaning of the words "harto and "agotado". Since "quemado" is slang, it may vary according to location. In any case, what leonbloy wrote is correct from a Spanish (as a language) point of view, because that is what the word "harto" and "agotado" mean. In an informal conversation you could always say something meaning something else but that happens in all languages and locations. –  Dzyann Feb 26 at 16:07
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.