Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The sentence says "You play as him" but all of the choices have the last word as el instead of él. I believe "Tú juegas como él" to be the right choice, is that correct?

enter image description here

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by c.p., Alexis Pigeon, darkajax, Theta30, Emilio Gort Feb 13 at 21:31

• This question does not appear to be about the Spanish language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

That's a typo in the app. Shit happens. I think also, that the question is quite localized. –  c.p. Feb 12 at 9:18
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Of course the second one is the right way, el without the accent is an article and él with the accent is a pronoun, which in this case is the one that you should use.

Update:

el => article (the)
él => 3rd person pronoun (he/him)

tu => posesive (yours) 
tú => 2nd person pronoun (you)

So, to construct the sentence you're asking for, you will need both words to be pronouns to make real sense, so that would be :

Tú juegas como él You play as him.

Remember juegas is the right conjugation of the verb jugar for the 2nd person present indicative, juega is for the 3rd person and juego is for the 1st.

share|improve this answer
If you only have those, yes, it should be the first, but as I say "él" has to be with the accent, is that Duolingo? that is wrong my friend, I am Spanish native, trust me, you were right, that app is wrong, notify it :) –  El_Mochiq Feb 12 at 0:03

Can you elaborate to explain why that is the correct answer? Simply providing the correct answer on a multiple-choice question doesn't make for especially valuable content. :) –  Flimzy Feb 13 at 20:01

Check my update. –  El_Mochiq Feb 13 at 21:43
+1 Very nice answer. –  Flimzy Feb 13 at 21:47

Thanks for the advice to improve the answer, look at the original Duolingo's sentece, is: "you play as him." –  El_Mochiq Feb 13 at 21:48
show 3 more comments

Ooopsie, the app is wrong. Tú juegas como él is the correct answer.

add comment

Both, the first and the third answers, are correct (except for the el mistaken for él issue that you mention).

The first one Tú juegas como él is correct. It means You play like he plays or You play the same way he plays.

The third answer Tú juega como él is also correct because it is a mandatory sentence (imperative mood), meaning You have to play like he does.

Tendria que tener una coma la segunda para ser correcta. Tú, juega como él –  Emilio Gort Feb 13 at 21:31

Aunque esa "pausa" la hacemos cuando hablamos, el verbo juega concuerda en género y número con el sujeto . Es cierto, que nunca se suele (o no se debe, quizá) utilizar así, creo que es totalmente válida. –  makeMonday Feb 13 at 21:46
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.