Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Why doesn't the above translate to "Wine with wine"?

share|improve this question

For properly answer we need a context. First 'vino' may be from verb 'venir' or may be wine itself. There is such an expression to refer to unknown origin wine as "vino con vino". –  Envite Feb 2 at 23:17

@Envite This is the entire sentence. It's part of a spanish tutorial. –  0x499602D2 Feb 2 at 23:28

Then the correct answer is that of ntrx. –  Envite Feb 3 at 7:16
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

If this is an entire sentence, this is clearly a case of two different words that happen to be written the same. [Él/ella] vino [a verb] con vino [a noun]. Hence "She came with wine"

Here are two more nice examples of the same.

Q: --¿Usted no nada nada?

A: -- Yo no traje traje.

-- You don't swim, do you?

-- I did not bring a swimsuit.

Nada (a verb): you swim

Nada: nothing

Traje (a verb): I brought

Traje (a noun): a suit

Why does it sound like the conjugation for "Yo" instead of "Él/Ella/Usted"?

Because it is a past tense. The verb "Venir" is very irregular.

Present "Yo vengo", "Él/Ella/Usted viene"

Past "Yo vine", "Él/Ella/Usted vino"

share|improve this answer
add comment

"Vino" can mean a substantive (wine) and a verb (third singular person, past tense of "venir" : came).

It's just an example of homonyms. English (and I guess most languages) have them.

Examples: "I'll book this book." "Can you pass me that can?" "How to tie a tie" "Park the car in the park"

add comment

It really depends of the context as most of the languages issues, a quote comes to my mind: "Al pan, pan; al vino, vino." (Bread to the bread, wine to the wine) and it means something like keep the things in its place. If you say "vino con vino". I think it can be in some strange context like "Ella mezcló leche con agua y vino con vino." (She mixed milk with water and wine with wine) assuming there where two kinds of wine, maybe, i know it sounds crazy, but it really depends of the context. In spanish we often don't use the pronouns, so again, it will depends of the context becaus "vino" (came) is used with both she and he.

The word "vino" is the third person past of "venir" and for it yo should use: yo vine, tú viniste, usted vino, él/ella vino

Also if you want to use it in a sexual way, as in English (She/He came) you can use it, but you will have to add the pronoun "se" like this "Él/Ella se vino".

"tú/usted vino" es incorrecto, tú viniste; él/ella/usted vino –  MikMik Feb 18 at 11:45

Gracias, missed that one. –  El_Mochiq Feb 18 at 11:51
add comment

When you say "Vino con vino" the first "Vino" is for the conjugation of the verb "Venir" ("To come")

Why does it sound like the conjugation for "Yo" instead of "Él/Ella/Usted"? –  0x499602D2 Feb 2 at 1:51
The conjugation for "yo" of the verb "venir" would be "Yo vine", not "Yo vino". The conjugation of the 3rd personal pronoun is "Vino", as in "Él/Ella/Usted vino" –  ntrx Feb 2 at 6:30
Venir is an irregular verb. The 1st person singular present conjugatino is vengo.. Even still, preterite conjugations for the YO form never end in an 'o'.. it's always going to be an 'e' or an 'i' depending on which which tier the verb is. –  Zane Edward Dockery Feb 5 at 18:08
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.