Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Spain I learned aqui, alli, alla, but in Costa Rica it all seems to become aca. Am I not remembering the Castillano correctly or does this differentiation not exist in Latin America?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 0 down vote accepted

In Spain "Acá" is not typically used. So you probably learned the Spanish from Spain where we use aquí, allá and allí as you said (remember the accents).

I believe the word acá is very common in Latin America countries, and has the same meaning as aquí.

share|improve this answer

It might not be as usual as in other Spanish speaking countries, but it is indeed used. –  Gorpik Jan 30 at 8:52

@Gorpik Never heard –  SysDragon Jan 30 at 8:55

In any case, why do you say that official Spanish does not use it? Acá is as official a word as any other. –  Gorpik Jan 30 at 9:01

@Gorpik With official I meant to refer to the language used in Spain, in which I believed acá was not used. –  SysDragon Jan 30 at 9:04

As it was explained to me in Madrid aqui....alli............alla. Sorry I don't have the accents. In Costa Rica it seems to be aca....aca.............aca –  user2405 Jan 30 at 22:30
add comment

"Aquí" and "Acá" have the same meaning. The same for "Allí" and "Allá".

We use "Aquí/Acá" when you're talking about a position near to you, or maybe your own position. In the other hand, "Allí/Allá" is for pointing a position far from you.

For example:

• Aquí/Acá fue donde lo vi por última vez.

• Esta silla de aquí/acá es de hace 5 años.

• Vamos a comer allá/allí

• Ese de allá/allí es a quien buscas

share|improve this answer
I'm from Chile, and this is how we use this words –  ntrx Jan 28 at 19:11

Thank you for your insight –  user2405 Jan 30 at 22:34
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.