Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The imperfect subjuntive has two forms. For example:

• Ojalá viniera.
  • Ojalá viniese.

I think both has the same meaning. However, is there any subtle difference?

share|improve this question

I've been wanting to ask this question too! –  hippietrail Nov 22 '11 at 22:23
I'd say that the only difference is that the form ending in -se can be considered slightly more formal than the one ending in -ra; but otherwise (i.e., regarding the meaning) they are equivalent. –  Gonzalo Medina Nov 22 '11 at 22:53
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

No, there is no difference, at least in meaning.

share|improve this answer
add comment

There is no difference in meaning. I have found that the -ra endings are more common in Latin American Spanish and the -se endings are more common in European Spanish. So I would use the one that represents the type of Spanish you are trying to speak.

What about Mexico, which is in North America? If it falls in with Central and South America (which it often doesn't) you can just use the term "Latin American Spanish" instead. –  hippietrail Nov 23 '11 at 0:18

Edited thus. I'd say it applies to Mexican Spanish as well. –  Kevin K. Nov 23 '11 at 1:15
add comment

The advice I was always given was that there is no difference in the meaning, but to stick to one of them (ie don't mix and match) in a conversation/piece of text.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.