Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I talked to someone from México and when I was talking to him about my trip he said in reply " que suave" . I asked my mexican friends what it meant and they said it's like "cool" but they didn't know in what era it was used. Could anyone tell me?

share|improve this question
In Cuba we said suave in the same context as cool or when something is easy to do –  Emilio Gort Jan 13 at 5:16

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

As a Native mexican, I can tell you from my personal experience that it was more common to use that expression on the 80's/90's than it is nowadays, as it sounds kinda outdated. But it's much older than that.

For example there's the movie "Fíjate qué suave" from 1947, featuring the comedian Manolín, which used "Fíjate qué suave" as his catchphrase even before before the movie.

share|improve this answer

In this days, the preferred slang is "qué chido" es.wiktionary.org/wiki/chido –  Fernando García Jan 16 at 10:27
@FernandoGarcía True, however even the use of qué chido is tricky, as the acceptance of the phrase is dependent on your social group, and it could also sound kinda outdated for some younger people. And of course there's also the vulgar equivalent qué chingón –  darkajax Jan 16 at 19:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.