Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What does "Weon" mean? Someone told me that weon is used in Mexico and Chile, but he was not sre what it meant. Could anyone in these countries tell me what this word is? Or is it an offense calling somebody "Weon" ?

share|improve this question
add comment

8 Answers 8

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Meanings of weon in Chile (apologies for poor grammar on english keyboard)

Weon = dude, bro, man; Como 'tai po weon?; [How are you, man?]

Weon = asshole, jerk; Ese arbitro es un weon; [That referee is a jerk]

Wea = a thing; Estamos al frente de la wea; [We're in front of the thing]

Puta la Wea = screw this shit [yes, this is rude to say]

Webiando = doing something, messing around; Los chicos estan webiando al frente de la wea; [The kids are doing something in front of that thing]

Webiar = to do something (usually annoying,) mess around; Quitate de webiar, hijo! [Son, stop being annoying!]

Example: My cousin describing the movie "Gravity" to me in Chilean Spanish:

Mira weon, habian dos tipos, weon, la Sandra Bullock y ese weon George Clooney, cachai? Y los dos estan alli, weon, webiando en el espacio, weon... Encontre esa wea muy fome, weon, no me gusto la pelicula...

share|improve this answer

Or the classic example: "el weon weon, weon" (the guy is an asshole, dude) –  Alter Lagos Mar 27 at 15:33

Also, they all are deformations of "weón" = "huevón", "wea" = "huevada". In some regions of Argentina (Patagonia, Mendoza) you can hear the full versions "huevón" y "huevada". –  Danita Jul 21 at 12:52
add comment

In Mexico we don't use weon/webon, instead we use wey. Weon is the slang for huevon(as explained in previous answers) and it's used mainly in Chile but it's also used in other south american countries like Peru(as far as i know).In Mexico we use huevon in specific cases to refer to someone who doesn't work or is just lazy, but as a regular expression we surely use wey. We either use wey to refer to someone in a non-offensive way(with friends just means buddy or dude) as well as in some cases it can be taken as a despective word to express someone is stupid or a fool.

is "heuy" means the same way as "wey"? –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 9 at 8:54
@DerPolyglott33 "heuy" is not even a word in Mexico. I don't know if you are trying to write something else, in that case please check your word and re-write it if needed :) –  Jose Maria Jan 9 at 9:13
add comment

I think should be Webón or Wevón para referirse a Huevón, quiere decir de huevos(testículos) grandes, se le dice así a los vagos o alguien que molesta mucho.

Los chilenos y los mexicanos además lo usan mucho para hablarse entre amigos, por ejemplo:

¿Qué es de tu vida Wevón? => ¿Cómo estás bro/dude?

Podrian explicar el voto negativo? –  Emilio Gort Jan 9 at 0:52
Debe haber alguien a quien le molestan los testículos. +1 –  belisarius Jan 9 at 5:25
When my chilean friends used that word, they pronounce it so fast that they really seemed to say "Güeón" instead of "Güevón". –  Flamma Jan 9 at 9:10
You got it! Here in Chile we say more like "güeón" but you could read it in chats as "weón" "wn" (abbreviated) "hueón" "hueon" "weon". Note that in Chile we abused of this term, calling anything and using in every sentence as the situation could. Examples: –  Diego Andrés Díaz Espinoza Jan 14 at 20:11
add comment

You got it! Here in Chile we say more like "güeón" but you could read it in chats as "weón" "wn" (abbreviated) "hueón" "hueon" "weon". Also there is something like "apelativo" which is "aweonao" "aweonado" "agüeonado"; most difficult one to translate. Note that in Chile we abused of this term, calling anything and using with every sentence as the situation could. Examples:

"Hola po weon cómo estay?" (hey dude how are you?) "Qué pasa aweonao? (what's up dude?) --rude one "Mira el weón como cruza la calle..." (look at that guy how cross the street) Look at this one, very rude and impolite:

"La wea que hizo el weon aweonao" (what a crap did that stupid guy)

add comment

I live in Chile as an exchange student. This word appears in every sentence from any young Chilean. No exaggeration. Probably it comes from huevón but here it's written as weón in every situation(SMS, Whatsapp, FB etc.) It's totally different from its Mexican sense and it's of utmost importance not to confuse the two. At the very least if a Chilean calls you "weón" don't get angry XD. You should probably even be happy because they treat you as a close friend.

"weón" mostly means "dude, bro" in a casual and intimate sense. It's true it can also mean "moron"/"stupid person" but that usage is much much less common.

Also one says "wea" which means "cosa"(thing). "Qué wea" means "what?".

right, but be careful, "weon" as "moron" is not much much less common; the meaning has to be extracted from the context: no more solution. As an example, if you drive a car in Chile, and you miss a traffic light that could have cause an accident, for sure the affected will say you something like "fijate po aweonao": which means something like "be careful stupid moron". In Chile is one the most difficult words. Even for me as a Chilean is difficult sometimes to extract from the context. –  Diego Andrés Díaz Espinoza Jan 15 at 14:41

Almost equivalent of the Argentine "boludo", "boló". –  Danita Jul 21 at 12:54
add comment

Most importantly: None of these words should be written with W. It should be "huevón" (even if sometimes the v is not pronounced). As it has been explained, in Mexico it means lazy. "Güey" usually means stupid. Depending on the tone, none of these should be considered an insult (but they can be, of course).

add comment

Could be use as an offense or to reffer a person or simply as an equivalent of "dude" or "bro", it depends of the context.

add comment

First, you can write it as hueón, huevón, güeón, güevón or weón, it doesn't matter (but we mostly use "wn" or "weón"). This is used in Chile and was propagated among other countries in South America due to the internet and social networks.

Meanings:

Weón 1) dude, bro, man 2) a person, a man, an unknown 3) jerk, asshole, stupid

Weá 1) a thing in general 2) an annoying thing or situation, something that is unpleasant, crap, shit

(if you see, it is a "normal" or "neutral" way as a first meaning, so you don't need to be upset if someone tells you "weón")

So, for example, if you heard "oye weón, el otro día estaba en la estación de metro y un weón casi se mata, quería saltar a la weá donde pasan los metros... y un weón que estaba al lado mío, se reía en vez de preocuparse... fue desagradable la wea", it would be something like "hey dude, the other day I was in the subway station and a man almost kills himself, he wanted to jump to the thing where the trains travel... and a jerk beside me was laughing instead of being worried... the situation was unpleasant"

Hope this helps ;)

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.