Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I say ' It took me 4 hours to get to Hamburg' in Spanish?

1. Tomó 4 horas volar a Amburgo.

Any alternatives?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Since I don't see anywhere on your sentence that you were flying, but rather only talking about how long it took you to get there, whether you were flying, driving or whatever, I don't see why you should add volar to your sentence.

A more correct approach would be:

Me tomó 4 horas llegar a Hamburgo.

The verb llegar simply states that you got there, instead of that you flew there.

share|improve this answer

Mh, the OP is translating the sentence as flying. You don't see anything related to fly? –  c.p. Dec 28 '13 at 19:12

Yeah, he said the sentence he was trying to translate was It took me 4 hours to get to Hamburg, which does not mention flying, I don't know why he chose to translate it as that in the first place though. –  user1676874 Dec 28 '13 at 19:13

Well, the point isn't translating. Just helping with grammaṛ… –  c.p. Dec 28 '13 at 19:55

You almost got it right:

Me tomó cuatro horas volar a Hamburgo.

Amburgo is not Spanish, but Italian. I added an H.

As an alternative, you could say

El vuelo a Hamburgo duró cuatro horas.

or

Tardó cuatro horas el vuelo a Hamburgo.

All these sentences are somehow colorless, so you might want to add some color depending of your perspective. For instance, if you found the flight's duration was unnecessarily long you could say

Después de cuatro horas apenas estaba en Hamburgo.

The opposite would be

En cuatro horas ya estaba en Hamburgo.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.