Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In my dictionary there is an entry belonging to "ver":

vérselas y deseárselas para conseguir algo

which should mean something like "take a great effort to obtain sth.". I have seen a similar phrase containing vérselas before in a book and now I have to know. What is this "las" referring to? Is there an implicit omitted word?

share|improve this question

I like this question (+1). I've heard vérselas negras para ..., which means having to confront a very difficult situation. I don't know the origin. So, if the origin of the term you asked about is elucidated, so would be mine. –  c.p. Dec 27 '13 at 19:15
Here is another example of 'las' referring to something omitted: 'Te las deseo felices' -- I wish you luck –  Paco Feb 14 at 16:52
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes. Indeed. Something hidden, could be anything. It is a cliche phrase, itself. Nobody knows where it comes from, and we use it not very often because it is a quite old expresion, but it is commonly used in books and it's a nice way to express the difficulty of doing something.

share|improve this answer

I did a small research and there is no info available on the net easily to get an explanation of the origins of this expresion. Nobody knows where it comes from , just that. :-) –  darkgaze Dec 27 '13 at 13:37
Si quieres ver el uso de verselas molesta a una mujer en cuba...ella diria fulano va verselas conmigo...y mejor fulano que no se aparezca...lol –  Emilio Gort Dec 27 '13 at 13:51

Thank you, I'll take this. Also thanks @Emilio Gort for an enlightening example. –  Gregor Bruns Dec 28 '13 at 20:27
Se pone " fulano va A vérselas conmigo" –  darkgaze Dec 28 '13 at 20:45

Si @darkgase lo que pasa que lo escribi del cel, seria bueno saber el origen de las palabras fulano y esperanzejo –  Emilio Gort Dec 29 '13 at 4:57
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.