I'm creating a checkbox captcha; in English the text is

"I am not a spam bot"

What is the proper way to say this for the Spanish language translation?

I should add I'm not necessarily looking for a word-for-word translation, but rather the proper phrase in Spanish that conveys this specific message.

The literal translation for 'spam' is 'correo basura'. So 'spam robot' is 'robot de correo basura' but it doesn't sound good in Spanish. Dec 19, 2013 at 6:23
    "spam" isn't really the word you want, even in English. You want to filter out all sorts of bots, not just those that generate spam.
    – Flimzy
    Dec 19, 2013 at 11:02
  • I'd be tempted to go for "No soy un robot spam" (or "No soy un spam robot"). I would have thought spam is now a universally recognised word? Dec 19, 2013 at 12:22

2 Answers 2

What I have seen in most of sites here in Chile:

"Soy humano!" (means you are human being so you are not a bot)

"No soy un robot" (means that in particular you are not a bot)

Remember that Spanish doesn't have a word literally meaning "Spam" since this is a term originated in USA, anyway most people who use a computer will understand you if you say "spam".

I think is a very difficult one...

• marked as answer, I went with "no soy un robot" they seem to be happy with it, thanks Dec 19, 2013 at 16:24
  • "spam" es un anglicismo más que aceptado en estos días, no veo ningún problema en usarlo.
    – ppp
    Dec 20, 2013 at 20:48
  • De acuerdo, pero depende del contexto. En desarrollo de sitios y aplicaciones, utilizaría algo más entretenido que la simple traducción literal "no soy un spam-bot". Sólo para marcar una diferencia, usaría (y lo he visto) "soy humano" o "no soy un robot". Pero absolutamente de acuerdo, spam, email y otros términos computacionales se adoptaron como anglicismos. En ese sentido, los españoles son tradicionalmente mas reacios a adoptarlos, principalmente por la riqueza del idioma, siempre se puede adoptar o traducir los términos. Dec 22, 2013 at 2:37

Literally: "No soy un robot de correo basura".

Most adequate translations would be those answered by @Diego Andrés Díaz Espinoza, particularly the second one "No soy un robot".

• lol thanks for the literal one, I was curious if there was a word for junk mail in spanish :) Dec 19, 2013 at 16:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.