Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I say 'I end up' in Spanish? I'd like to say it in this context :

I wanted to get a cheaper hotel, but I ended up getting an expensive one.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Also you can say: "Quería encontrar un hotel barato, pero al final terminé en uno caro".

share|improve this answer
add comment

You can say:

Estaba buscando un hotel barato y (terminé/acabé) en uno más caro

or

Quería un hotel barato y (terminé/acabé) en uno más caro

Be careful with acabar, which has a sexual meaning in some places. –  Diego Mijelshon Jan 16 at 17:26

@DiegoMijelshon esa no la sabia, porfa me podrias decir en que lugares, como cultura general, si sabia del significado de coger en mexico, argentica pero no de acabar –  Emilio Gort Jan 16 at 17:48
En Argentina, por lo menos, acabar es tener un orgasmo. –  Diego Mijelshon Jan 16 at 20:14
add comment

This will be the most accurate one for your sentence, I think:

Quería (coger) un hotel barato, pero acabé cogiendo uno mas caro.

The sentence "ended up" can be traslated like acabé or terminé.

The verb "To get", for an hotel, can be traslated into coger, hacer noche, encontrar, etc.

As in Latin American Spanish speaking countries the verb coger has a totally different meaning, the traslation should obviously use a different one for this countries.

"coger" is mostly used in Spain, but understandable in all Hispanoamerica. –  Ricardo Dec 31 '13 at 2:35

I think "coger" would not be the first option for a native speaker from Spain in this case. –  joragupra Jan 8 at 12:32
@SysDragon I apologize as I did not intend to sound rude, it was just my personal opinion. But of course your answer is totally OK. –  joragupra Jan 9 at 10:42
@joragupra Thanks for the explanation. Edited for clarification with the Latin American meaning of the verb. –  SysDragon Jan 9 at 10:47
@joragupra "coger" would definitely be the first and most natural choice for a native speaker in this context, at least in Spain. –  david Jan 19 at 21:27
show 6 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.