Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

'Ya estas alli' means 'you are already there' But: 'Ya estas alli?' means 'Are you there yet?

Another example:

It would be wrong to say 'Ya no' when trying to mean 'Not yet; The translation of 'Not yet' is 'Todavia no' However, 'Ya no' is a very popular phrase used to say 'Not anymore'

So the word 'Ya' means sometimes 'yet', sometimes 'already', and sometimes 'anymore' ?

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Flimzy Dec 14 '13 at 15:20

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

It's not clear to me what you're asking. Are you asking for all of the possible translations of "ya" to English? Are you asking why English grammar and Spanish grammar are different? Are you asking how to properly use 'ya'? I don't actually see a question. This reads like a rant at the moment. –  Flimzy Dec 14 '13 at 15:21

Related: spanish.stackexchange.com/q/38/12 –  Flimzy Dec 14 '13 at 15:33

the question is implicit in the title...I cant see how it is unclear @Flimzy...en todo caso es duplicado –  Emilio Gort Dec 15 '13 at 8:16

"Ya" is never a synonym of "already" and "yet," since it's in a different language. It often translates to one of these two words, but it can be translated other ways as well. –  Flimzy Dec 16 '13 at 19:25

1 Answer 1

This happens because the structures of a Latin language can not be immediately translated to a Germanic language. It does not make sense to say "why this is not in Spanish like it is in English?".

To the point of 'ya', you are correct, it can mean all three 'yet', 'already' and 'anymore' depending on if it goes together with positive, negative or interrogative particles.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.