Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Most Spanish names are quite similar to the equivalent in English, such as:

Juan = John
Pedro = Peter
Maria = Mary

etc.

But what's up with:

Santiago = James

?

What's the connection? How do the twain meet?

Are there other unusual Spanish/English name combinations like this?

When I took Spanish in High School, the teacher gave us all Spanish names based on our "real" names; he couldn't think of one for me, neither for the name I go by (Clay) nor my first name (Benedict); he finally settled on "Benedito," but said that wasn't really a Spanish name, just the closest he could get.

Note: In German, too, James gets a rather unusual translation, namely (no pun intended) to "Jakobus" which seems a more likely match with Jacob. Anyway...

share|improve this question
By the way, the Pope demostrates that "Benedict" is "Benedicto", so I do not understand the problem that your professor had. –  Envite Dec 12 '13 at 23:54

That was 40+ years ago. –  B. Clay Shannon Dec 12 '13 at 23:57
I think the usual form of Benedict in Spanish is Benito. –  MikMik Dec 13 '13 at 12:50
What about Jaime? –  Dan the Man Apr 18 at 4:54

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Santiago, (also San Iago, San Tiago, Santyago, Sant-Yago, San Thiago) is a Spanish name that derives from the Hebrew name Jacob (Ya'akov) via "Sant Iago," "Sant Yago," "Santo Iago," or "Santo Yago," first used to denote Saint James the Great, the brother of John the Apostle. It was also the tradition that Saint James (Santiago) had traveled to the Iberian Peninsula during his life and was buried there. The name is also complicated in Spanish in that Jaime and Jacobo are modern versions of James. Another variant is Diego, as in San Diego, as a doublet or variation. Visit this link

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.