Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I say ‘I like to go out in such nice weather’ in Spanish?

Me gustaria salir en un tal buen tiempo.

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 0 down vote accepted

One different (and more common way in Spain IMHO) way to say it:

Me gusta salir con tan buen tiempo

Or even:

Me gusta salir cuando hace un tiempo tan bueno

share|improve this answer

Your attempt is a good first try, but it has several inaccuracies:

Me gustaria salir en un tal buen tiempo.

1. Me gustaría is I would like. The -ia ending is used in the Spanish conditional tense. But in your sentence, you simply want to say "I like", so Me gusta is what you want.

2. un .. tiempo

We don't talk about "A weather" in Spanish (or in English, for that matter). By including the word un, it makes it appear (at least to me), that you're talking about a good time (tiempo can mean both time and weather in Spanish). So get rid of un.

3. tal buen tiempo

I don't believe I have ever confused tal and tan, but it seems to be a common confusion. But in your case, you definitely want tan. You can read about tal and tan, or feel free to ask another question to dig into the differences in more detail.

So after these adjustments, the correct translation for your phrase would be (changes highlighted):

Me gustaria salir en un tan buen tiempo.

Me gusta salir en un clima tan bueno como este.

Me gusta salir en un clima así de bueno.

Me gusta salir con tan buen tiempo/clima

I thought 'such' was translated as 'tal'? –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 11 '13 at 5:51

Such can also be translated as tan, depending of the context. The third one has the closest structure to your original English sentence. –  Daniel Ortiz Costa Dec 11 '13 at 5:53

As a comment: What you put as translation is a LITERAL word by word translation, it is LITERALLY correct, but both languages don't have the same structures so it doesn't really sound right. And gustaría = I'd like –  Daniel Ortiz Costa Dec 11 '13 at 5:55

thanks for your explaination –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 11 '13 at 5:57

You can see I put 'depending of the context' in my first comment. That is the type of mistake you just made. It should have been 'depending on the context' but I used a Spanish structure, which to me sounds right but to you it may sound weird and non-correct. Good luck. –  Daniel Ortiz Costa Dec 11 '13 at 5:59

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.