Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In the US State I live in, I sometimes hear Spanish speakers greet one another by simply staying "Bueno". I didn't hear this when I was recently in Mexico, although I realize I may just have not noticed it.

How or when is "bueno" used as a greeting? Is it considered slang, and what are some considerations in its use?

Is it used a greeting in Spanish in other places beyond my lone state in the US?

share|improve this question
Are you sure it's not "¡Buenas!"? –  Gonzalo Medina Nov 21 '11 at 23:59

@GonzaloMedina : no, I'm not sure :-) –  rynomax Nov 22 '11 at 18:35

3 Answers 3

Actually, ¿bueno? is used mostly in México and it doesn't originally represents a greeting or a hello. Around 1800 the telephone first came to México but the service quality was very poor. When somebody tried to call to another person then the operator person would have to connect that call, as the system was very poor then the operator person had to do some "test" in order to check whether the call can be connected or not. So, in order to know that, the operator person would say "¿Bueno?", which literally means "good?" and then wait for the answer, if it was "Bueno" then the call was successfully connected and the actual call proceeded. Here is the source of this information, but it's in spanish http://mx.noticias.yahoo.com/blogs/blognoticias/por-qu%C3%A9-se-dice--bueno--230425941.html

share|improve this answer
Not around 1800, for sure :) –  Gorpik Oct 22 '13 at 11:33
That's true, I researched about it and found that it was between 1879 and 1880 when it was first established in México –  Jose Maria Oct 23 '13 at 1:10

It seems to me that this is folk etymology. Are there any contemporary sources that back this «¿bueno?» claim? -- while not used exclusively as salutation bueno is a common pet word in most Spanish speaking countries. –  Carlos Eugenio Thompson Pinzón Oct 24 '13 at 1:42

In Spain, at least in the Basque Country, it is sometimes used as a very informal "good bye", or "see you". Something like "bueno, entonces hasta mañana", and then dropping everything but "bueno". I've even heard it (and probably said it) reduced to "bo".

¿Bueno?

Is used as a greeting when answering the phone (primarily in Mexico).

¡Buenas!

As a short form of buenos/as (días|tardes|noches) is used as greeting in some regions of Spain and Latin America (Colombia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Mexico).

Asked a related question. –  jrdioko Nov 22 '11 at 0:55
I concur for Mexico bueno in answering the phone, buenas as casual anytime greeting. –  hippietrail Nov 22 '11 at 11:23
In Chile, ¡Buenas! is also used as a greeting, something I think wasn't used so often some time ago. –  Nicolás Nov 22 '11 at 22:19

Just as a word game, always that my brother calls a girl and the girl answers "Bueno?" he replays with "No, Buenote!". Buenote = Handsome. –  razpeitia Nov 23 '11 at 5:47
"Buenas" is also used in Perú as greeting. –  Ricardo Jan 13 '12 at 10:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.