Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know hardly any Spanish, however I was wondering if there was any difference between sci and si, as in si versus piscina. I know that they could just be artifacts from Latin, but I feel as if there should be some subtle pronunciation difference.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 0 down vote accepted

There is a lot of difference. On 'piscina' you have three well differentiated syllables, that of 'pis', 'ci' and 'na', thus having differentiated terminal -s and starting z- sounds.

It is of very poor quality speakers to forget the terminal -s in form of the immediate starting z- and pronounce 'picina' or 'pisina'. It sounds horrible.

share|improve this answer
I don't really think it is "of very poor quality speakers" to pronounce it like "pisina" where "c" is pronounced like "s". I would say it is the standard in those places. Don't forget that Spanish is spoken in many countries, with a huge variability of pronounciations. –  MikMik Nov 25 '13 at 8:57

On "seseante" or "cecenate" zones it may be true, but for them does not sound horrible because it sounds tha same as their other usual words. I was (of course) talking of standard Spanish, that one which has not "seseo" nor "ceceo". –  Envite Nov 26 '13 at 9:46

Right, but that doesn't make non-standard Spanish speakers "poor quality speakers". –  MikMik Nov 26 '13 at 10:03

You missed me. Stadandard zone speakers who does not properly pronounce 'sci' are poor quality speakers. I meant nothing about non-standard zone speakers. I myself are from a non-standard zone (a "seseante" one) so I pronounce something like 'pissina', and when somebody with my own accent pronounces so it sounds normal to me, but when somebody from a standard zone pronounces 'pisina' or 'pizina' it sounds very awful to me as well. –  Envite Nov 26 '13 at 10:40
Besides, calling standard Spanish the variation that only 10-15% of speakers hold... –  Carlos Eugenio Thompson Pinzón Nov 26 '13 at 10:51
add comment

Technically, it's different : the "s" in piscina forms part of the previous syllable (pis-ci-na). In practice, the difference in pronounciation is practically null in regions with seseo (most Latin America), where then "s" is pronounced the same as the "c": in these regions piscina sounds practically the same as pisina, especially in informal conversation. More examples: ascenso, descendiente. In Spain, it would be different.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.