Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, I may ask, "do you have tea?" to a waiter or waitress. This "you" may be plural since asking, "do you all (y'all) have tea?" makes sense, but I guess it could also be singular (more along the lines of asking if the waiter has the ability to bring tea).

In Spanish, I can think of a few options, but don't know what's best:

• ¿Tienes té?
  • ¿Tiene (usted) té?
  • ¿Tiene (el restaurante) té?
  • ¿Tienen té?
share|improve this question

The following constructs are also usual in some parts of the Spanish world: "Hay té?", "Puedo pedir un té?" –  belisarius Nov 24 '13 at 5:33
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

The normal one is the last alternative. The implicit person is the second, plural : the people who own/work at the restaurant.

¿Tienen (ustedes) té?   

In Spain, you could also use vosotros ("¿Tenéis té?") but that would be imply some informality-familiarity (analogous to "tuteo" in the second singular person), so you'd probably better stick with the "ustedes" form.

share|improve this answer
Please note that the difference between second person 'ustedes' and second person 'vosotros' is not only per zones, it is also about formality. "Tienen (ustedes) té" is always preferable if you do not know the people working there, since "Tenéis (vosotros) té" implies some degree of familiarity even in Spain. –  Envite Nov 23 '13 at 19:46

@Envite Thanks, I'd missed that. –  leonbloy Nov 23 '13 at 22:58
add comment

In some Latin American countries you could even use "¿hay té?" which is more personal but accepted.

share|improve this answer

This can be used in Spain as well, but as said, it has some degree of familiarity. It is more used at stores than at restaurants. 'Tienen'/'Tenéis' is generally preferred. –  Envite Nov 27 '13 at 9:43

In Spain the pluscuamperfecto is strong, in other countries, but maybe Argeentina, those forms of the verbs, like in Italian, have been lost. They are too complicated for most people since they require good studies of their own language. Yes, Teneis is totally formal, however, iff you are in a cafe in countries other than Argentina or Spain, the use of those complicated verbs can make you look like a rich person or a wannabe. It may be a little stressfull for some people. But the proper spanissh is supposed to use Teneis. –  Keila Perez Oliveras Dec 5 '13 at 0:55

'Tenéis' is not "pluscuamperfecto", it is Simple Present. –  Envite Dec 5 '13 at 6:31
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.