Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The phrase "no way" is similar to this question about the expression "you wish!" but is perhaps more of an expression of disbelief or rejection of what the other speaker says (short for There is no way that just happened!). It also can be friendly enough to be used jokingly or teasingly, like when another person says "Yes way" back and you say "no way!" again (like "nuh uh" / "uh huh").

I think I have heard just que no used - for example, perhaps something like this:

A: Cuando llegué a casa, el perro habia comido mi tarea.
B: Que no!

This discussion on "a que sí" o "a que no", like some others I found while searching, makes it seem like "a que no" is the way this might be said, so maybe I haven't heard the "a":

If the conversation were such that the interlocutor disagreed with the assertion, the exchange would be as follows:
A: He's really bright. -- Es muy inteligente.
B: Yeah right! -- A que no!

Is que no! a good translation of no way! or is there a better one?

share|improve this question
i cant translate it without using bad words u_u –  pleasedontbelong Nov 21 '11 at 22:36
add comment

9 Answers 9

up vote 13 down vote accepted

Actually there are a few possible translations given the context and country where you want to say "No way!".

¡De ninguna manera!

¡Ni pensarlo!

¡No hay el menor peligro!

¡Ni lo sueñes!

¡Ni hablar!

share|improve this answer
Even though I thought of may other translations first, the most litteral "¡De ninguna manera!" is also perhaps the most appropriate, and would work most of the time. –  Juan A. Navarro Nov 22 '11 at 16:54

"Ni hablar!" is commonly use in Perú –  César Jan 3 '12 at 19:12

Thanks @César. Added. –  Randolf R-F Jan 4 '12 at 4:53

Y también: "¡De ningún modo!" –  Albertus Feb 11 '13 at 7:31
add comment

In Spain Spanish, you can say "¡Venga ya!", which I think suits the load of incredulity associated with "No way!". It is a direct phrase, but not impolite.

add comment

I've always heard. "Ay (make your eyes big). ¡No me digassssss (I put the extra s because women in México, especially, will drag out that sound, so I tend to copy that colloquial nature in order to seem more native. Heh heh. the s sounds to me---as a non-native---sounds more like a Z en México.

ejemplos: Ay! No me digazzzz (como así en querido México) —or— ¡De Veras! (Querido México)

re: No me jodas I just spent an hour explaining to someone from Spain that I was told (I was told) that if you say "No me jodes" with an 'E' it softens the strength of the word joder... más suave.

But my friend from Spain disagrees with that interpretation. Alas, I'm only learning through native speakers.

add comment

En España también se utiliza

¡Ni de coña!

Aunque puede resultar algo vulgar.

add comment

Another colloquial term used commonly is nada que ver. See here:

What's the meaning of the expression "nada que ver"?

add comment

Creo que la mejor traducción sería:

¡No jodas!

Pero depende del país y el contexto (no vale para todo y es una expresión muy coloquial)

En México:

¡No mames! ¡No me chingues!

"¡No mames!" and "¡No me chinges!" also come to mind (background from México). –  Juan A. Navarro Nov 22 '11 at 16:52
I'm told "no mames" is "grosero" so be careful using it. But there is a cleaner version I'm told I can use without offense, "no manches". Of course "joder" and "chingar" are also "groseros". –  hippietrail Nov 22 '11 at 19:48
+1 not the most polite but indeed very used. –  isJustMe Nov 24 '11 at 14:37

Don't forget the "¡Ni Madres!" (Also background from México) –  Chepech Mar 21 '12 at 1:42

"No jodas" fits especially well with the first example of the OP as an expression of disbelief (about the dog eating the homework). –  neizan Jul 31 '13 at 17:22
add comment

My Larousse Gran Diccionario has a whole mini section on this:

no way adv Fam can I borrow it? - no way! ¿me lo dejas? - ¡ni hablar! or Esp ¡de eso nada!; US we're getting married - no way! (expressing surprise) nos vamos a casar - ¡no me digas or Esp fastidies!; no way am I going to help them ni de casualidad les voy a ayudar; Fam no way, José! de eso nada, monada

add comment

I've also heard ¡No me digas! used in this way.

This discussion, though not authoritative, somewhat supports this: http://www.quora.com/How-can-I-say-the-equivalent-of-the-Ironic-Spanish-Expression-ahh-si-no-me-digas-in-English

I always use and hear this in Mexico. Or maybe "¡No dices!" - I haven't been immersed for a few years now. –  hippietrail Nov 22 '11 at 10:15
Depending on the context, this wouldn't apply, for example when reacting to someone stating "¿Verdad que la película estuvo buena?", answering with "¡No me digas!" feels strange and might be interpreted as the opposite of "No way!". Answering with "¡De ninguna manera!", "¡Claro que no!" or other slang might be more accurate. –  Juan A. Navarro Nov 22 '11 at 16:58

Yes, I agree with that. Context matters. –  Kevin K. Nov 22 '11 at 20:21

Yes individual senses of individual words rarely map 100% 1:1 to counterparts in another language so with phrases made up of a couple of words which each have a few senses you can expect 100% mappings that work across all contexts to be super rare. –  hippietrail Nov 23 '11 at 0:26

I've also heard "No me digas" used that way. –  Rachel May 2 '12 at 3:45
add comment

Usual expressions that could be equivalent to "no way!" are

• ¡Ni en sueños!

• ¡Ni lo sueñes!

• ¡Ni de riesgos!

The first one appars in the DRAE, under "sueño":

ni en ~s, o ni por ~s.

1. locs. advs. coloqs. ni por pienso.

And under "pienso" one finds:

ni por ~.

1. loc. adv. U. para ponderar que algo ha estado tan lejos de suceder o ejecutarse, que ni aun se ha ofrecido en el pensamiento.

Depending on the context "¡Ni de juego!" might also apply. –  Juan A. Navarro Nov 22 '11 at 16:52
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.