Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The letter "k" is rarely seen in Spanish. What is the origin of Spanish words containing a k? Are most recent loanwords from modern languages, influences from older languages (Latin or Greek), or of an even earlier origin?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 10 down vote accepted

According to the Wikipedia page for the Spanish language, under "Writing system", they are all loanwords (directly integrated or words "adapted" to the Spanish writing system):

The letters "k" and "w" are used only in words and names coming from foreign languages (kilo, folklore, whiskey, William, etc.

The single origin for each word is obviously different, and I think we should go singularly. But the main point is that I don't think there are "native" Spanish words with a "K". I say "native", because after a while, any loanword (if used by people) becomes a legitimate word in a given language.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Most of the words containing a k come from foreign languages. For example:

• Ketchup
  • Kiwi

There are, obviously some words that are names of people or places:

• Kenia
  • Kansas

There are also words that come from names:

• Kafkiano (from Kafka)
  • Keniata (from Kenia)

On the other hand, Spanish come from Latin and Greek and the 'k' letter comes from the 'kappa' Greek letter. So I think the words that come directly from Greek can be considered original words. For example all the words starting by kilo:

• Kilogramo
  • Kilolitro

Some of the foreign words that contain the 'k' letter are translated using the 'qu'. For example:

• Quiosco (From French: kiosque)
  • Chequear (From English: check)

Ketchup is not Spanish. There is cátsup. –  Rodrigo A. Pérez Sep 4 '13 at 2:33

Ketchup is Spanish. From the RAE dictionary: Ketchup: Salsa de tomate condimentada con vinagre, azúcar y especias. –  J. Calleja Sep 4 '13 at 7:04

ok...........:) –  Rodrigo A. Pérez Sep 4 '13 at 16:15
add comment

"K" also has a seemingly widespread slang use in texting / SMSing and online chatting.

In this case it stands for the words que and qué but also any part of any word with the sound /ke/ such as porque.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are some words borrowed from Native American languages such as Quiche and Quechua that are spelled with "k" at least informally and regionally. I think I've seen it on signs in Chiapas and Guatemala but I can't say for sure.

Like the mayan god Kukulkan... –  Rodrigo A. Pérez Sep 4 '13 at 2:32
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.