Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I learned "no mucho" for not much, but when I went to Spain, I heard "nada mucho" in conversational Spanish. Specifically in Granada, where many would say "graNADA mucho" to "What's up" questions.

I know "no mucho" means not much, but is putting "nada" in the front making it sound a bit different, just as we would say "nothing much"?

Just wondering.

share|improve this question
I've never heard it used, not even by some people from Granada that I know. And they never shy away from using their localisms. –  Gorpik Oct 14 '13 at 7:47
add comment

3 Answers

This expression is not proper spanish since "nada" means nothing and "mucho" means a lot. So it seems strange to place both terms in the same phrase.

share|improve this answer

It can still be a colloquialism. Spanish (and I guess all languages) have lots of ungrammatical expressions. –  Rodrigo A. Pérez Oct 22 '13 at 0:24
add comment

I've never heard that expression being used, however, there are some other expressions that sound more understandable for all Spanish speakers, for example, "no mucho" or "casi nada"(which literally means almost nothing).

add comment

The expression “nada mucho” does not sound grammatical Spanish for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has become jargon in Spain.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.