Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In this Spanish Wikipedia: about Guion ortográfico I found mentioned

Separar algunas palabras compuestas.

but there are no examples given.

Are these foreign words or are there proper examples in Spanish?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

They are proper examples in Spanish. They are usually two adjectives that describe a very specific quality of the object (in most cases).

For example:

Franco-alemán

Lógico-matemático

Físico-químico

Histórico-artístico

Cirujano-anestesista

anti-Mussolini

These words are not foreign, as said they describe something specific.

There are some rules as to the usage of the hyphen:

• The compound words with spanish lexemes are usually written with a hyphen when they maintain their tonic syllable or maintain certain independence: teórico-práctico
  • It is also used when there are deleted prepositions between words in apposition and when the second word is a noun with a upper case letter: anti-Otan
  • Words with a prefix that are constructed in apposition are written without the hyphen: coche bomba
  • To separate a prefix from its base: re-presentación
  • To represent various words with a desire of a Unitarian presentation, usually used in philosophical texts: Sartre ser-para-sí, ser-para-otro
  • Code numbers, prefixes or letters: DC-10, Barcelona-92

Source for a more complete explanation, (or search for guión in the DPD)

share|improve this answer

This is the RAE article in the Diccionario panhispánico de dudas.

There are plenty of examples and all the rules to use the hyphen. Hope it helps.

share|improve this answer

Thank you @hippietrail I edited but I could not get a valid link that's why I explained how to go there. If someone can get a valid link please edit. Thank you. –  Laura Nov 21 '11 at 9:29

Hmm there didn't seem to be anything tricky. I followed your instructions which led to the URL buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltConsulta?lema=gui%F3n which I'll edit into your answer for you. –  hippietrail Nov 21 '11 at 9:57

The other answer already has the information, thank you very much for your help I don't know why i couldn't get the link as usual. Thanks again :D –  Laura Nov 21 '11 at 10:04

@hippietrail I think the link refers to another question guion vs guión and not to the question of hyphenating. –  bernd_k Nov 21 '11 at 11:49

@bernd_k not at all, if you read the 2nd entry you'll find the information about the use of hyphen. –  Laura Nov 21 '11 at 11:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.