Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

¿Cuando hablo sobre un par de auriculares en español, cuál es correcto?

Los auriculares fueron caro.

El auriculares fue caro.

¿Y también, es auriculares la palabra correcta para esta cosa?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

The right way is Los auriculares Because it is the plural form of the word, the singular form would be el auricular.

Also auriculares is a valid word, but for me (I'm from Mexico) it feels more natural to say (los) audifonos.

Something important to clarify is that seeing how auriculares is a plural word, and since it could cause confusion, think of it as something similar to pantalones (there's only one item, but it's the right word to use). I guess the easiest way to understand it is that each side of the item is an auricular, so we could say you have an auricular on each ear when you use your headset, and you're using/wearing auriculares as a whole.

EXTRA

For the sake of improving your Spanish, I have a few tips...

First, the right overall expression would be:

Los auriculares (or audifonos if you want) fueron caros.

Note the right word for expensive here is caros (plural form) and not caro (singular form) for the reason I explained before.

Finally your questions are:

¿Cuando hablando sobre un par de auriculares en español, cuál es correcto?

which is the wrong way to ask. You could do it in the following ways instead:

• ¿Cuando hablamos sobre un par de auriculares en español, cuál es la expresion correcta?

• Hablando sobre un par de auriculares en español, ¿Qué es lo correcto?

And your other question:

¿Y también, es auriculares el palabra correcto por esa cosa?

That one is also incorrect, palabra is a feminine word, so instead of saying el palabra you have to say la palabra; the same is true for correcto which should be correcta. And por should be para. So your question should be:

¿Y también, es auriculares la palabra correcta para esa cosa?

I'd personally use esta instead of esa as you were talking about that item just before...

share|improve this answer
Thank you very much! Your corrections make sense, I appreciate them :) About los auriuculares vs el auricular, though... Does that mean that for one pair of headphones, that's el auricular (or el audifono)? And los auriculares means multiple pairs of headphones? (I was confused on this one because in English, headphones is both singular and plural. "Those are nice headphones." (1 set) "I bought a lot of headphones today." (more than 1 set) –  WendiKidd Aug 26 '13 at 1:20

@WendiKidd see my updated answer :) also, I'd say auriculares/audifonos is valid for both 1 set and multiple sets of headphones... –  darkajax Aug 26 '13 at 1:34

@Theta30 indeed, thanks for the suggestion... –  darkajax Aug 26 '13 at 2:01
I just wanted to add that in Spain we would indeed use auriculares rather than audífonos (audífonos would be what the hearing-impaired people use). Regional variations aside, I think this answer is absolutely correct. –  Gorpik Aug 26 '13 at 11:18

Another small correction: "¿Y también, es auriculares la palabra correcta para esa cosa?" should be "Y también: ¿es auriculares ...?" –  leonbloy Aug 30 '13 at 18:38
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.