Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Which would be the translation to Spanish of

I have a crush on your sister.

When speaking Spanish, everybody uses the English word and I'd like to know the translation.

share|improve this question

What do you mean by "when speaking Spanish, everybody uses the English word"? –  JoulSauron Aug 25 '13 at 15:35

@JoulSauron I mean that they say "Tengo un crush con tu hermana." –  c.p. Aug 25 '13 at 15:37
Not Spain, what we use here might be the answers you are looking for ;) –  JoulSauron Aug 25 '13 at 16:37
I've never heard the word "crush" used here (Argentina). –  leonbloy Aug 26 '13 at 14:17

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The use of the word crush in spanish sounds more like spanglish to me, at least I've never heard of people using it that way...

JoulSauron is right to mention the colloquialism of those expressions, as neither of those are used in Mexico (they may be understood in the right context, but I've never heard them being used here). However I'd use:

• Estoy loco por tu hermana (or tu hermana me trae loco)
  • Estoy enamorado de tu hermana
  • Estoy interesado (romanticamente) en tu hermana
  • Me gusta (mucho) tu hermana
  • Me atrae tu hermana

Which may or may not be used in other places as well...

share|improve this answer
I wouldn't use "enamorado" for "crush" in Spain, as it has the meaning of being in love, which is different from a crush. The same goes for the rest of sentences, they have their own translation to English and each of them give a different touch to the meaning of liking someone. –  JoulSauron Aug 26 '13 at 9:10

@JoulSauron I get your point and the same is also true in Mexico, however enamorado for example while having the main meaning just as the one you mention, can also be used for crush –  darkajax Aug 26 '13 at 19:51

Some phrases we use in Spain for "crush":

• Estoy colado/coladito por tu hermana.
  • Estoy colgado por tu hermana.
  • Estoy pillado por tu hermana.

As these are colloquial, I'm guessing in other countries they use other expressions. Definitely, not everybody uses the English word, actually I would say just in few countries is used "crush" in Spanish.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.