Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English:

Studying and working at the same time always result in a big challenge.

In Spanish:

Estudiar y trabajar al mismo tiempo siempre resulta un gran desafío.

Why is the singular form of "resultar" used? There are 2 subjects, estudiar and trabajar so shouldn't "resultan" be used? In the English edition, we don't use the singular form "results."

Saw In: http://www.organizartemagazine.com/como-organizarte-estudiando-y-trabajando-desde-casa/

share|improve this question

Interesting that in English it's seen as two subjects. –  JoulSauron Jul 28 '13 at 16:15
Your english sentence sounds way more natural to me if the singular 'results' is used. Not sure if that's just me or not. I would say something like: "The other day I was trying to study and work and the same time. It turned out to be quite a challenge" I wouldn't say: "The other day I was trying to study and work and the same time. They turned out to be quite a challenge" So to me it seems like more sense to say: "Studying and working at the same time (it) always results in a big challenge." Then again I'm not a linguist or anything so maybe this doesn't make sense. –  Kage Jul 28 '13 at 23:21

@Kage is right; in the English version should use "results". "Studying and working at the same time" is the singular subject of the sentence. "[x] always results in a big challenge." –  WendiKidd Aug 2 '13 at 1:08

@Kage You are right. The verb "result" should refer to "working and studying" as a single subject. –  Dombey Aug 4 '13 at 1:19

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The subject is "Estudiar y trabajar al mismo tiempo", and this is a single action (although it might be composed of two independent actions), whence the verb is conjugated in singular. Both actions (estudiar, trabajar) are joined by "al mismo tiempo". This last adverb tell us to consider the actions as a whole. That wouldn't be the case e.g. for

Estudiar y trabajar son cosas que la generación actual no quiere hacer.

Here the verb is in plural, because these actions are no longer joined.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.