Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It is incredible the amount of time it takes to open particularly the page of the Dictionary of RAE. The search engine is bad as well.

• Is there another site, where one can access the same information, with a more user-friendly interface?
share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Flimzy Dec 23 '13 at 12:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I guess you mean the DRAE, not the RAE. –  Gorpik Sep 16 '13 at 13:44

@MODS eh?! where does my question seek learning resources? It's my native language. –  c.p. Dec 20 '13 at 16:58

Preguntas por un recurso al fin y al cabo, sea de aprendizaje o no. –  JoulSauron Dec 22 '13 at 18:11

@JoulSauron Lo sé. Pregunto por un recurso extra porque los recursos dados en esta respuesta no son suficientes. Precisamente abordo el tema de la mala interfaz de usuario que posee DRAE ¿no son 9 votos positivos suficientes para creer que tal interfaz no sea óptima? –  c.p. Dec 22 '13 at 18:31

Questions seeking learning resources are off-topic, primarily because there can be no single correct answer. I debated whether to close this as "Too broad" instead, after the OP suggested he was not seeking a learning resource, but I believe that all dictionaries are learning resources. (You wouldn't look up a word if you didn't wish to learn the definition). But whether it's a learning resource or not, it's off-topic, as it's a very open-ended question with multiple equally valid answer. This type of resource-recommendation question is off-topic across nearly the entire SE network. –  Flimzy Dec 23 '13 at 12:21

6 Answers 6

up vote 12 down vote accepted

You can use GoodRae, when you search a word you can click on any word of the definition and it will show his meaning.

For example search Agua

agua (609 consultas) · [+] agua. (Del lat. aqua). 1. f. Sustancia cuyas moléculas están formadas por la combinación de un átomo de oxígeno y dos de hidrógeno, líquida, inodora, insípida e incolora. Es el componente más abundante de la superficie terrestre y, más o menos puro, forma la lluvia, las fuentes, los ríos y los mares; es parte constituyente de todos los organismos vivos y aparece en compuestos naturales 2..

Shows a short account of the definition because it shows the word aguar also. If you click the first word (agua(609 consultas)) it will show you the whole definition and diferent meanings of agua, if you click on Sustancia will go to his meaning.

sustancia (409 consultas) · [+] sustancia. 1. f. Ser, esencia o naturaleza de algo. 2. f. Jugo que se extrae de ciertas materias alimenticias, o caldo que con ellas se hace. 3. f. Aquello que permanece en algo que cambia. 4. f. Aquello que constituye lo más importante de algo

And so on.

If you check the checkbox Inverso, it will search in wich definitions appears the word you are looking for.

For example if you search Sustancia then Agua will appear among many others.

This option is slower but is due to the amount of information / results are bigger.

share|improve this answer
+1 And you can use wildcards too, if you search for *zorca you'll get mazorca. –  dusan Jul 21 '13 at 2:12

Although not exclusively RAE based I find www.wordreference.com very useful and it has a link to the RAE site within it. For the more obscure terms and usage there is also a forum.

Second for wordreference. The dictionary is good and searches of slang/uncommon words (or whole phrases) often show up in the forum (simply below the dictionary results). –  Meep Sep 13 '13 at 18:38

Tip: don't use the RAE search engine, directly put the word in the URL:

lema.rae.es/drae/?val=your_word

It will directly find your_word in the dictionary.

Well, for Wiktionary it works, but it doesn't work for me for RAE. After redirection, it displays "Ups! Google Chrome konnte lema.rae.es nicht finden." (lema.rae.es couldn't be found) –  c.p. Jul 19 '13 at 10:02

Oh! Strange, have you tried for example www.rae.es/agua ? –  fedorqui Jul 19 '13 at 10:43

Strange, now it works. But even so, I dont get the meaning directly. I get "agua" and "aguar" to be selected. :-/ –  c.p. Jul 19 '13 at 10:46
I guess that's the behaviour when there are similar words that can match... –  fedorqui Jul 19 '13 at 11:12

Furthermore, you need to be precise with accents to get the word you're looking for. –  Alpha Jul 28 '13 at 16:08

There is a mobile app that I use, its called Buscador RAE and it is a very user friendly interface. I can use it every day with no problems.

I know that its technically not a website, but it is the most effective thing that I've found.

Por si acaso, para iOS está "Definitio", una aplicación súper bonita que usa como backend el diccionario de la RAE.

DRAE is an amazing unfriendly and slowest site, but it is the official Spanish language site for grammar and orthography. Another bad thing on to have a centralized academy for a language is that they doesn't give free access for it (which is unbelievable); don't mean about access through website but if you want access to something like the API or their REST service, you couldn't.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.